Biden's "Crisis" at the US-Mexico Border

Do note that Trump pulled funding from the Northern Triangle region in 2019 before the surge happened on his watch, and put it back towards the end of the year. Then COVID hit. Then hurricanes hit the Northern Triangle last fall. Perhaps had we offered aid in rebuilding last fall there would have been less of a surge today. Looks like we gave them an extra 2%.

How much money will this crisis cost American taxpayers in added debt?

I would guess the cost needed would be the extra staffing and immigration judges required at the border crossings in order to process the immigrants coming in. Beyond that, we don’t need to pay any more; this is not the US’s problem to deal with imo.

I am only referring to immigrants legally presenting themselves at the border. If you’re referring to illegal immigration on top of that, that is another issue entirely, imo.

What is your solution? Gun towers on top of the wall and shoot anyone who tries to come over?

Your hyperbole aside, are you referring to illegal immigration, or foreign nationals lawfully presenting themselves at the border?

That’s a pretty semantic difference since most illegal immigrants enter the country legally and then don’t leave when they’re supposed to leave.

Would you treat them differently? Would you be able to tell them apart?

Yes, they are entirely separate issues with very different processes and procedures to handle them.

The average daily detention center population in 2019 was around 50K a day at a cost of 150-200 per bed per day. That cost the US 2.7-3.7B. Plus judges and other costs on top of that. Sending aid to the northern triangle seems like it could have a high return or even pay for itself if a big part of the surge we saw in 2019 was due to removing the less than 1B of aid that we were providing.

Let them in. Set up process centers in their home countries. Get Mexico to help pay for the transport.

As powerful as the US is, I can’t imagine us fixing Central America.

At least I can’t imagine that it would be cheaper than simply accepting a bunch of poor people.

But… But… maybe we could create another asylum country or something in-between, which is safer than a hurricane/murder-zone, but cheaper than Texas. I don’t know what that would involve. Maybe we could pay Costa Rica to take in Honduras children or something? Do we do that?

The “remain in mexico” policy was kind of like that, except that we didn’t offer them anything at all, so they were hungry, sick, unsafe, and hopeless.

I’m sure Ranger and Adriana were equally concerned when the same thing was going on the last 4 years so we should definitely listen to them. This has been a problem for years. It still is a problem. It will still be a problem in 2022 and 2024 and 2026 and 2028…unless Congress passes comprehensive immigration reform. Not much the executive branch can do with crap legislation.

What makes you think I wasn’t concerned? We needed more immigration staffing and judges when this started ramping up; I said that from the beginning. Your conclusion about what I was thinking is baseless and outright nonsense.

i have stated previously in this thread that this problem isn’t going away. I also pointed out that people were quick to blame Trump, when it’s clear now that there is no easy answer.

I still find it odd you say people were quick to blame Trump in a thread blaming Biden while saying it is a problem that spans administrations.

1 Like

Why? The blame was attempted to be placed exclusively on Trump when he was in office, which has turned out to be entirely phony. Rather than say “Let’s talk about this problem”, politics were played with it.

who is distributing those ‘Biden, let us in!’ shirts? Anyone else think that is really weird? almost staged for a certain cable news channel to film and broadcast hoards of immigrants with shirts like that?

Immigration was a good political hook in 2016. Looks like we are giving it another go. Immigration is always perception vs reality. The issue is way to complex for most people to really grasp, making it easy to just choose a shallow extreme side.

The new admin’s border message is really just ‘we wont torture/kill/hand you over to cartels as much as we did before’, which under certain political lenses means open borders, Biden border crisis, etc.

Shocking that politicians would play politics. Maybe if they would legislate instead the problem would be fixed.

Good luck. Democrats chose to blame Trump instead of trying to legislate. Now Republicans are going to make them eat the problem by demonstrating that it’s a difficult one to solve. There’s no good guy here.

I would also argue that Trump didn’t do the right thing either, by not hiring the staffing and judges needed to handle this.

I think it would be more accurate to say Democrats refused to not grant amnesty to people already here and Republicans refused to not build a wall.