Biden's "Crisis" at the US-Mexico Border

See he planned it.
Forgot about it.
Then planned it again!

Here was the last major immigration bill. It actually cleared the filibuster and passed the senate with votes from 14 Republicans.

And then the House refused to vote on it. Democracy in action.

Admittedly, it wouldn’t have really solved things, but it’s a good show of just how hard it is pass anything in Congress.

1 Like

Several years ago Republicans could have gotten a wall built if they had just agreed to amnesty for everyone already here. But hell no, they insisted everyone had to be uprooted and sent back to wherever too. It’s so stupid.

Edited: just read your wikipedia page. Seems that may have been the bill I was thinking of. No wall, just a bunch of increased security.

That bill included $7 billion in fencing. Not sure if “wall” was part of the vocabulary in 2013.

Republicans might have thrown away the “wall” a couple time during the Trump administration as well.

I recommend this by the way if you have some time…

1 Like

Clusterfluff at the border continues.

“The message is quite clear, do not come. The border is closed, the border is secure,” said DHS Secretary Mayorkas. “We are expelling families, we are expelling single adults under the CDC’s authority.”

My exam brain can’t help but notice that leaves out a third option, which makes the message as clear as mud.

Here’s some data. Note we are still a ways from our 2019 peak. But we seem to be headed there.

Single adults are being caught more particularly, even though there is no change in policy for them. Presumably they’re just hoping Biden will be nicer.

I’m bothered that Biden’s administration seems to be somewhat surprised by any of this.

Pay no attention to the “Faux News” conspiracy headlines. This is not a crisis. Everything is under control. Repeat, Everything is under control. You can go back to your happy lives placated by Starbucks and cat videos on Facebook. There’s nothing to see here.

I chuckle to myself every time I hear that the Biden Administration is denying the media access to these facilities because of COVID-19 fears.

Just because 80 million people were hornswoggled by a 77-year old man hiding is his basement and a VP candidate whose Presidential campaign didn’t even last until the Iowa caucuses, doesn’t mean the country is completely filled with morans.

1 Like

I take it you that you were too smart to participate in the election, and are now too smart to discuss Biden’s options.

Yet again, you manage to bring Trump into this. “Trump” is no longer an excuse; it’s now being exposed as a difficult problem with no good solution.

before we discuss Biden’s options, how about we take some baby steps first. How about the democrats acknowledge that the situation is indeed a crisis, and it’s a crisis created by Biden, his administration and his policies. It’s time to own it.

The first step to recovery is recognizing you have a problem.

Once we get those baby steps out of the way, then we can discuss Biden’s options.

Cool, a stalker!

Happy to say it’s a crisis, similar to the 2019 crisis.

If we say it was “created by Biden” then that would imply Biden has a simple best option of closing our borders to asylum seeking children, telling them to remain in Mexico. To me that is still a crisis (just not our crisis).

Is it a crisis? I don’t know, I am not sure the terminology matters much. It is certainly a problem that lacks a solution.

Biden is being criticized for his policies that contributed to this, and it is usually pointed out the change made for unaccompanied minors. When you look at the statistics of those showing up, minors and lone adults are both 4x where they were last year. Family units are up, but far below 2019.

Certainly there was going to be a post-Trump increase regardless of any administration policy change. How much of lowered border crossings was due to COVID las year, how much of the increase is due to deteriorating conditions in the northern triangle which was hit with hurricanes last year?

It is Biden’s crisis in that he is President and gets to deal with it. Blaming his policy for it seems a bit of a stretch. Finding a solution that doesnt have the US committing war crimes should be a priority.

1 Like

Seems in line with the same crisis every spring when more people try to cross the border. Still trying to see how this is a crisis of Biden’s making and not just a general humanitarian crisis that none of the Presidents have been able to adequately address beginning with Reagan and every Congress since then that has continually kicked the can down the road. But I guess Fox and Newsmax need to rile up their base some how.

1 Like

What I find funny is how quick everyone was to point fingers at Trump and call it his problem, when it’s clear that no one ever had the answer to begin with. It makes the people who tried to put the blame there look like complete fools. No one will find a good answer to this because there isn’t one.

I will fully admit that no President in the last 35 years has been good on this issue.
That no congress has meaningfully wanted to get anywhere near a political hot button issue with actual immigration reform.
Some Presidential Policies have been better than others.
Trump’s policies were among the most dehumanizing and least humane.

4 Likes

The “cages” are still overflowing, so let’s not give anyone else too much of a round of applause here.

The amount of immigrants greatly increased during part of Trump’s tenure. There is no easy way to deal with a sudden influx of hundreds of thousands of people except to simply allow everyone in, which is a horrible idea.

Actually, one solution to the waves of migrants would be to “fix” their home countries somehow. Of course, that’s easier said than done.

No. We don’t need to go sticking our noses into other problems around the world. We have enough problems of our own already to deal with.

How would we help them anyways? Give money? We’re already in major deficit spending due to the coronavirus.
Go overthrow their government? That doesn’t seem to work out very well every time we try that, and gets us into quagmires that we never get out of.

I have no idea how we would fix their home countries. Like I said, easier said than done.

However, it seems like if nothing is done, a lot of people are going to come across the border, one way or another, regardless of what we might do in terms of border security. The only way to change that is to remove the incentive to leave their homes…or make someplace else more attractive than the US to them.