Biden's "Crisis" at the US-Mexico Border

It seems like Tittle 42 artificially inflates the crossing by expelling the same individuals multiple times. Aren’t they going back to Title 8 that is a longer process but keeps people out from reentry better?

TiL, the last thing Trump did in office was give temporary immunity from deportation to 150k Venezuelans.

I guess it passed under the radar because he was also committing treason at the time.

4 Likes

Border crossing dropped almost 40% the day after Title 42 was dropped.

Hmmm, seems like folks don’t mind a revolving door of trying to sneak in, but aren’t that crazy about being legally expelled under Title 8 since it makes them subject to prison if they sneak back in and or barred from reentering the country for 5 years.

1 Like

Adding link to my prior comment.

2 Likes

So, migrants are no longer going through the proper channels and are now illegally crossing the border?

Dunno. Guess we’ll find out at some point.

MBNC Reserve?
(Migrated But Not Caught)

1 Like

How far away are we from a Bannon or James O’Keefe type funding migrants travel to the southern border just so they can scream about how bad a job Biden is doing?

Note, i do not think Biden is doing good down there on a humanitarian basis.

@ranger, you must be thrilled Biden’s ending of title 42 has dropped illegal border crossings by 70%!

2 Likes

I looked this up out of curiosity, whether any money had been put into the caravans.

I found there is a Mexican left-aligned group that attempts to provide food and water. The UN also encourages the Mexican government to keep the migrants alive with the same. Lots of fake accusation of George Soros and Jews. This resulted in Soros being sent a pipe bomb and a synagogue shooter killing 11 because “migrants were loaded into a van with a Star of David” (in other words he hadn’t learned about Photoshop).

Couldn’t find any real funding, but I did find that under Trump, DHS paid for undercover federal informants to infiltrate the caravans and spy on them.

To say nothing of migrating animals that are being impacted.

Push children into the Rio Grande and deny water to immigrants

“traps” of razor wire-wrapped barrels have been deployed in the river in Eagle Pass to keep migrants from reaching land

Another reason for more people arriving at the US border:

Another recent example:

Threatening to overwhelm US migration services until they reduce sanctions on you seems… counterproductive.

Historically the US has not taken well to tiny countries pushing them around.

We’ll just pull out a play from the 1950s-1980s playbook: overthrow the government, institute a new one that’s perceived as being more friendly to us.

Oh sure, some innocent people in that country may die as a result and countless other people in that country may endure unspeakable horrors, but … that’s a sacrifice we’re willing to make.

1 Like

tl;dr: Border Patrol got reports of people attempting to cross and getting into distress. They couldn’t get in touch with the Texas National Guard folks at the scene. Border Patrol went to investigate, and they say they were prevented from checking out the reports by the Texas National Guard. Texas state officials disagree with this version of the story.

Dumb question: why didn’t the Mexican authorities help them? I don’t really understand how it’s supposed to work if someone is swept away by the current and potentially oscillating between the US & Mexican sides of the river. I presume at that point either side would be allowed to save them?

Even if they were clearly on the US side of the river (and my understanding is that each side “owns” half the river) I assume that the Texas folks wouldn’t object to Mexico rescuing them and bringing them back to Mexico.

Not that I’m remotely excusing allowing people to drown while doing nothing to render assistance, mind you. Just trying to piece together what happened and why.

In at least some stories, part of the Texas National Guard justification was “the Mexicans eventually showed up and conducted operations”, and there was mention that the park the TNG has barricaded has a boat ramp.

This is just a guess, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Mexican officials called the Border Patrol in hopes that they could get a boat to the scene faster than they could.

1 Like

In 2024, I would have thought we didn’t need to re-litigate the shit out of federal powers vs. state powers. But, when you have a swath of the Republican Party that’s more intent on burning the house down than real governance, … well, here we are. Again.

I am actually somewhat sympathetic to Abbot’s public position that the feds aren’t doing their job when it comes to border security, and therefore he feels obliged to do something with state resources.

However, that sympathy vanishes when the something being done seems to be at least as much political grandstanding as something effective.

2 Likes

Same

I am sufficiently ignorant about what that “something” is that I refrain from having an opinion about what he’s actually doing.