Awful Data Visualizations

terrible stories

and a good argument for Obamacare with a mandate at the very least , if not single-payer.

https://twitter.com/getnormality/status/1749763968237752736

That is some trend lining there

I know they have real data people at the NYT. Why did they get a graphic designer to do this?

The really annoying thing is this is a video without any controls other than stop & go

Taking my own screenshots:

Let me propose something simpler:

3 Likes

I think they were hired by the same hiring manager who hired the investment strategist.

2 Likes

My first thought was also ‘looks like technical analysis from a day trader.’

1 Like

Needs a sigma to show how not trendy it actually is.

Have a really stellar pie chart

I never before realized that “undergrad” is a race.

I wonder if this is related to the faked data issue, when people’s class year was Harvard:

1 Like

I doubt it. The person who posted that image is, in fact, a grad student at Harvard. But she took the photo at a conference she was attending elsewhere. And she said the data had originally been bar graphs that someone decided to wrap into a pie chart. Probably, all the numbers would have been accurate on a bar graph, but there was overlap between categories (hispanic, race, undergrad status).

This is just an object lesson in when pie charts are especially bad.

This seems to be the event she was at:

I think it’s just random demographic data of who was at the meeting, or maybe members of the APS, that was presented really badly.

1 Like

What APS is this?
Thinking maybe “American Physical Society,” based on the pie charts.

To be clear – Jon Schwabish is just fine. He is the person who introduced me to tile grid maps, which I adore:

But here is a not-so-great implementation:

I think they should still be proportioned somewhat to the sizes of the states. I know the initial issue with actual maps are that RI and DE and the rest of the NE states are tiny, but for those who know a US map, it can be difficult to find a state on these “all states are square” maps.
AR should be on top of LA, for example.
No specific solution, though.

When the point is to highlight policy choices by state, the size of the state is irrelevant.

When you want to talk about acres burned by wildfires, sure. Do it by size of state.

If anything, the population size is often more important than the geographic size.

True, but why use a misshaped map? Simple list should do it, unless the point is to note the differences by geographic area (former-traitors vs big west vs uppity noreasters, vs flyover, etc.

No, a simple list will not do it, without some structure.

If you are Canada with only a handful of provinces or territories, sure, a list or table is just fine.

But you may have noticed the U.S. is a wee bit bigger.

The second one is bad, with lots of states in weird places. I think that’s why meep posted it in this topic.

But the first one is very good. I’m also a fan of tile grid maps. I also like the ones with a square (or hexagon) for each electoral vote. I suspect they were inspired by the standard tile grid maps.

I saw a hexagon one recently, but it could still use some work:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/anti-mask-laws-by-state

I mean, look at NC and SC. No.

Actually, the whole East Coast. This needs a LOT of work.

Good things about it :me touches only nh, vt is correct too. But a lot of other hot mess.

Also never thought of Idaho as having beaches.