Attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband

ah, okay, so it’s not really for the safety of said person, but the safety of the country. i see.

seems like a dangerous job in that case. she should retire.

I believe that we, the taxpayers, provide security (via the Capitol Police) for certain Congress Critters in key positions. Those key positions include SOTH, House & Senate Majority & Minority Leaders and Whips, and probably (but I’m not certain) the President pro tempore of the Senate since he is 4th in line to the Presidency.

Ordinary Congress Critters do not get taxpayer-funded security details, but they are free to hire their own, and many do.

I recall a few years ago, I think during Obama’s presidency, there was a shooting at a Congressional softball game. The (Republican) Minority Whip happened to be there, so his armed security I think intervened. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the details, but that’s when I learned that only high up Congress Critters get the security.

Why would Nancy retire? At this point, all she does is blather on drunkenly, fly around in a private jet everywhere, treat everyone like shit, and pass insider trading tips to her broker. That’s most office drones’ dream retirement.

I already explained why she should retire, but I suppose you want to use right wing hater points to take jabs at her.

2 Likes

I see that you explained why you would prefer that she retire.
I don’t see you explaining why she should want/choose to retire.

Two very different questions: what one wishes were true, and what is true/how the world actually works.
I’m not too interested in the first one.

1 Like

Just falling from a standing position is very dangerous at 82.

Getting beaten up must be much more so.

I do believe that trump, with his allusions to violence and his violent supporters, is able to physically intimidate members of congress and others.

no violence por favor

So when do we start to take the threat of right wing extremists more seriously and have a real conversation about the rhetoric from MTG, Boebert, Trump, and many of the other MAGA Republicans.

3 Likes

probably sometime during the first 3 months of the 2nd civil war

3 Likes

And antifa will show up quite often in the discussions about it.

We’ve already been having this conversation. It is serious, but the base on that side eats a perpetual cycle of hatefulness from their media. I’m not sure where we’re going but it’s not looking good. Hopefully trends change and it becomes more trendy to be kind.

I don’t think we can hope it away. That ended when Trump left office and it continued to metastasize.

The 75% of America that has not turned into brainwashed MAGA need to vote out every politician that doesn’t disown the MAGA movement.

1 Like

Part of the problem is that there are some non-MAGA folks who view the Democrats as being troubling enough as to be viewed as the greater evil.

The American political system is lacking when it comes to those of us who can’t bring ourselves to vote for either of the major parties as they currently stand.

Seems like maybe they could afford private security.

Googles tells me her net worth is 120 million. Yeah she should probably do that.

1 Like

The American political system sucks, but IMO, even the best voting system is bound to “turn off” a great many people.

Imagine, instead of president, we were voting on “the most insightful book” written this year. Can you imagine which two books would be the most popular? Can you imagine where your book would be on the list? #100? #500?

This was my first thought as well. With all the lunatics openly threatening pelosi I assumed they would have 24/7 protection. It’s a sad reality that makes this necessary.

1 Like

His blog comments read a lot like the comment section of Fox News. Which is to say Internet MAGA / Q-Anon / r/TheDonald / 4Chan. I’ve seen similar rants in many places, on ever topic, including absolutely hating Nancy Pelosi for no reason.

Definitely the average Trump supporter is a boomer from Louisiana. But Trump supporters really are everywhere, in every city, and in every age profile. And if we think of the ones most likely to get off the couch and Do Something, it makes sense it would be a younger, internet user from California.

1 Like

Yeah, my Dad falls into this category. He’s turned off by Trump, but still thinks he’s a better choice than the alternative.

He’s fond of saying “forget all of the bad things Trump says and only look at all of the good things he does”. Which includes getting Mexico to patrol their southern border better, TCJA, the SCOTUS appointments, the Covid vaccines, approval of the Keystone pipeline, and probably more that I’m not thinking of at the moment. (II have not fact-checked the Mexico thing. I should because he brings it up a lot.)

I don’t think he thinks the Democrats are “evil”. I think he just thinks they are wrong about an awful lot.

2 Likes