Ao fan's office furniture thread

I’ve been taking university courses for about 5 years. I like an uncluttered workspace and all the texts on my work desk wasn’t going to work. Plus, my home office had the space so yeah.

A few odd thoughts…

Herman Miller and Steelcase are kind of the gold standard for chairs, both are very, very nice. I went down one tier and got a HON Endorse chair and have been exceptionally happy thus far

I have dual 24" monitors and have for years. A lot of folks prefer one big monitor, I think if I was going to do just one I’d go big, 32"+. Really depends on what you work on, I like one monitor for email/Slack, and a monitor for work. Some people I know that program all day like one big monitor, and I can appreciate that.

Standing desks are worth it. I got an Ergotron arm, but I think if I were doing it again, I might just get a motorized standing desk. But the arm is nice, it holds my monitors, keyboard/mouse, and webcam.

hmmmm, maybe i should look into a 32" monitor then. yeah, I mostly want one big one in addition to my laptop because i use gotomypc for work and with gotomypc i could not figure out how to use 2 screens without having to constantly email myself stuff for the 2nd screen.

at the office, i have 2 screens. unsure the exact size, but it’s smaller than 27 inches each. i think they might be 24" which is fine as long as i can span 2 screens, but i can’t do that at home without effort.

I’ll have to look into Steelcase and Hon. I got the idea of Herman Miller from the ao thread.

My first reaction to this was how small your keyboard looks.

Must be perspective. It’s a full size keyboard.

I have one of those Jerker desks too!! I just wish they had named it differently. :roll_eyes:

If you have any local shops that typically supply large offices with furniture, give them a call. My HON sells for about $450 online but he had a couple of extras that he wanted gone and sold it to me for $125 (brand new).

I don’t think HON come in sizes. If you are tall or short, Herman Miller does, and I think Steelcase has sizes. My wife is 5’ tall and my chair doesn’t work for her, for example.

yeah, herman miller comes in sizes, but i think i’d be the medium size anyway for them. i’m not tall, but the model one they had in the store was fine for me and i assume that’s probably medium. i’m barely 5’4".

online it has small as 4’10" - 5’4", medium 5’2" - 6’, large 5’10" - 6’6".

I’ve got two :). My son’s GF has taken to studying here instead of at home and I wanted them comfortable. So off to our local version of craigslist and found one for them. I think their resale prices like 15 years after they’ve been discontinued is still about on par with their price when new.

Project for this weekend, I’m taking some hardwood and building some chair mats for a couple of desks here that are sitting on carpet.

Yup, through a combination of your larger monitors and my keyboard having (I think) more frame around it, its quite different. My monitor extends just barely beyond the edges of my keyboard, I think it is a 22".

@SpaceLobster - what are the dimensions of the desks that the 2 27" monitors are on?

as an aside, it is nice that we can tag posters in posts here. that was lacking on the ao. i’d often do it knowing they won’t see it. didn’t actually realize that it was an option on forums, just that it should be.

The office desk is 62X31.5. It’s an ikea bekant:

The jerker desk is 47X35.5 but they’re only available on craigslist as they haven’t been made in a long time. It’s a nice compact desk that you can move the table height up and down to make it a standing desk (it’s bolted together so it doesn’t slide up and down…but you can pick the height initially).

seems like most 32" monitors don’t have a vesa mounts which based on my research i think that’s what i need to put it on a monitor arm, so i’d probably stick with 27" monitors.

I’d expect that even larger monitors would have a vesa mount. Surprising if they didn’t. The stand will absolutely be a vesa mount.
There are different sizes of vesa mounts though, so you need to confirm that the stand will have a size that matches the monitor (some stands will accomodate different sizes).

by “stand” do you mean “monitor arm”?

when i looked at reviews of the 32" ones, a lot of them said they could be mounted, but then in the reviews people said they couldn’t.

Yes, I meant monitor arm.

@ao_fan have you ordered yours yet? I’m still standing a couple times a day. I expect when we get out of the ridiculously busy season I will stand more. I thought I would use the ergo mat more, but I find myself grabbing the rocker board first, always, and only switching on occasion to the ergo mat. The board is smaller, so that may be part of it, but I “fidget” when I stand, shifting my weight from foot to foot, and the rocker board is excellent for that.

2 Likes

nope, haven’t done anything yet other than look at chairs. i tend to put things off and still going back and forth on how many monitors i want.

chairs are on sale now with herman miller until I think 11/28, so i will likely order both soon.

will be sure to order the rocker board. :+1:

1 Like