Ao fan's office furniture thread

Re: mechanical keyboards, the click is the best part. I have a blue switch at home and a brown switch for the office. Very satisfying.

tried steelcase chairs today. i’m undecided if it’s cushiony enough. i might just need butt surgery or something.

i’m gonna go to my office and compare it to that chair, which i forget what it even looks like at this point.

of the steelcase chairs, the leap is clearly superior to all of the other options there even though the gesture is more expensive. the adjustability of the arms on the gesture is a little better, but that’s about it.

the less expensive options were not ideal for a shorter person.

if i order it from the guy there i get a 15% discount, but it’s not returnable. returnable if i order online. also, if i order it from the guy there, there are a LOT of fabric options. a lot less online. there is one fabric option i really liked of those displayed in the store and can’t get that one online.

:iatp: /s

I’m ready for the headline “local actuary gets butt surgery in response to the demands of her insurance job”

Trying out my new office chair!!! It’s comfie womfie!!!

@Breadmaker what brand is it?

I have never had a job that required me to do this…what kind of shitty job is this?
Reserving?

IKEA Vilgot. Nothing fancy, but it beats the :poop: out of the dining room chair I was using. And it was free!!! :blush:

I walked to my office today to check out the brand of the chair. I forgot what it even looked like!!! I figure I sat on this chair for YEARS, so I should look into buying it. I forgot that my chair in the office has the arms totally destroyed. Do I have pointy elbows or something? idk. so I googled the brand and others said the arms fall apart. also read that the lumbar falls apart, which yup, the lumbar is totally broken on this chair. so, idk, still think I might buy it and hope for the best since it worked for me in the office.

when i get back to the office though, i’d really like a new chair. having torn up arms is pretty annoying.

this chair also ain’t cheap at all in looking it up online. my company did not cheap out on their chair purchases. but mine is falling apart.

it’s so quiet in the office!!!

why was it free?

I have a friend who was clearing out old furniture from her office!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

weird how i can buy what i’m pretty sure is the same chair in my office for $720, but if i want to customize it, that price is more than double. don’t get that at all. i think customize it mostly means the color.

have an appointment on wednesday to sit on chairs at the haworth showroom. they said that there won’t be a sales person there, but that might be even better. nobody to annoy me. just me and chairs.

unless the zody is way different than i think it is, i think that’s the chair i’m gonna get. their showroom just isn’t that far from me, so i might as well test it out first.

i’m really confused by how if i want a basic black chair it’s $720, but if i want to customize it with different color colors it’s more than double the price. WHY??? that’s something to ask a sales person i suppose.

they are sending me a questionnaire where i have to swear on my life that i don’t have covid. all these chair places other than herman miller make it so you have to call before going, and have to swear you don’t have covid.

their websites are all intimidating, but it is easy enough to get an appointment.

I’m tempted to also make an appointment with SitOnIt cause @Lucy talks highly of them, but I might see if this works out first since I’m heavily leaning towards Zody.

My one concern with Zody is that the arms and lumbar support are flimsy and fall apart. I’d likely need to buy replacement arms within a few years of having the chair, but I think the cushion is suitably comfortable and I can’t seem to find that elsewhere. I mean, I think it is, but then the first review on the website is to say the cushion isn’t soft enough, but then I saw other reviews on reddit where they say it’s the most comfortable cushion out there, and my experience with it is that it is.

these questionnaires always ask me for my company name. i’m not representing a company though. i’m representing me! i put my company name, but it’s pretty irrelevant. i don’t know why it’s a “required field”. don’t people just need to buy a chair sometimes where they aren’t representing a company?

Custom is always more expensive. Inventory is expensive for the supplier.

it’s not more expensive if i got a stealcase leap. in fact, it’s less expensive cause i’d get a discount for going through the salesperson. i’m just not sure the cushion on the steelcase leap is soft enough for me.

Can you sit on the steel case? The chair i replaced was a 50 year old steel case, and the upholstery was shot, but the mechanics were still good. I’ve also liked all my steel case desks, at a couple of employers.

Of course, they aren’t the same company they were 50 years ago, but I’m biased in their favor.

I already sat on the steel case. I went to the showroom last week. I am uncertain if the cushion is soft enough for me. Of the steelcase chairs, the leap is the best one, but my joints are not sold on it being ideal. At first I didn’t think any chair would be ideal for me, but then I went to my office and I like my chair there, so now I’m looking to buy that brand.

@Lucy, what made you decide on a sitonit chair rather than another steelcase chair?

Literally that they had some in my office, in the conference room, and i knew i liked sitting in it.

The mesh back seems to have loosened a little since i bought it, by the way. I don’t think it’s as sturdy as the top brands. (The ones in the office have solid backs.) I still find it very comfortable, and I’m quite happy with my purchase. But i don’t think it’s the best chair out there or anything. I just think that i find it comfortable.

And since i don’t use chairs like everyone else (i spend a lot of time reclined, i cross my legs) there are lots of chairs that get great reviews that i don’t like. And actually shopping and sitting in lots of chairs seemed like a ton of work. So when i realized i had found one i liked, that was still on the market, i bought it.