Annoyed Thoughts--Other Drivers Edition

You plop your bike on the sled and have the sled dogs pull you!!! :bulb:

1 Like

Note to self: hit cyclist who does not follow rules of the road. OK. got it!!! :thumbup:

2 Likes

Idaho stop is legal in 9 states. 41 to go.

1 Like

Rules of the road vary by vehicle type. For instance, trucks often have to stay out of the fast lane or go at a slower speed.

1 Like

Two words:
Suomi Tyres

I used to average one fall per winter…but zero since I switched to studded tires.

1 Like

I can live with that.

1 Like

So now you skip a season?

2 Likes

There’s this one spot on the highway where a super long off ramp ends just before the start of a short on ramp. Every time I drive by it, there is some fluffhead who thinks the off ramp is the next on ramp and does a last second merge back into the right lane!!! :roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:

Saw a wreck tonight. Ford Taurus headed eastbound was making a left to go north and sideswiped a Caddy headed westbound, going straight through the intersection. I was first in line in the southbound lane at a red light. The Caddy was forced in my direction but missed me by a good six feet.

It’s unclear if the Taurus failed to yield, or if they had a green light to turn and the Caddy blew a red light. All I know is the Taurus was a student driver car. Guessing that student driver either learned to properly yield, or they learned that other drivers are idiots and situational awareness is really important on the road.

1 Like

Argh… people seriously need to learn how to drive in roundabouts. You do NOT stop when absolutely no one is coming from any direction as far as the eye can see.

You DO stop, or at least yield, to vehicles already in the roundabout.

Ran into both of these problems in different roundabouts in the last 24 hours.

On the interstate between towns and it was very dark. I saw some very faint red lights so I knew someone was in front of me. It was a vehicle pulling a trailer. The trailer lights weren’t working so all I saw was the reflectors. The tail lights on the vehicle were blocked by the trailer. Made my way around the vehicle and it only had one headlight. Did I mention it was dark? Sheesh!

3 Likes

I know how to drive a roundabout, and do so correctly, including signalling ever time. I know that I know, because I looked it up after I had a minor accident when I ‘knew how to drive a roundabout’ but actually didn’t.
Part of my ineptness was incorrect signage (now fixed). The cop promised me it was going on my insurance because I was at fault. The insurance company said it was 100% my fault, the adjuster even said ‘my supervisor drives that roundabout every day and is familiar with it, and you were 100% in the wrong lane at the wrong time’. So I took them on Google streetview, showed them a streetsign just before the roundabout that said I could actually be in the lane I was in. Insurance came back and put it 100% on the other guy. that sign isn’t there anymore.

But I’m ultra cautious when I go through them now because there’s other people out there like me, who maybe didn’t get the memo.

The other problem with roundabouts is when exiting. I find it very unnatural to see pedestrians, the angle is all wrong. and I’m concerned if I stop for a pedestrian while in a roundabout, I’m going to enjoy a rear-end collision. So yeah, I’m looking in about 8 directions at once when I go through a roundabout.

Another time driving in Massachusetts, I get to this big roundabout full of cars just north of Boston during rush hour. I made sure to look all 5 ways going through!!! :dizzy_face: :scream:

they call them rotaries up there. and they can be high speed!

3 Likes

That’s an annoyed thought all on its own.

Well if the sign wasn’t there, the cop was correct, the ding was my fault. Fortunately for me, the sign was there at the time.

Yup, and he was wrong.

I’m not sure why a cop is seen as the judge in minor accidents. If the two parties agree on the scene that one party was at fault and what violation led to that, but last clear chance and everything else that that was present at the moment can make many situations difficult to judge. Just because a traffic cop can point a radar gun and catch speeders or witness other violations in action does not make them a great choice to decide fault. I guess there aren’t any better options, but it seems like they should simply document the scene, any witness reports, and issue any clear citations. Maybe that’s what happens most of the time, but the cop in your situation wanted to be the judge as well.

Twice today I got to a 3-way stop at about the same time as another driver. Both stopped for about 1/100th of a second and just merrily went through the intersection. :unamused:

1 Like

I went to the shopping mall this Black Friday:

I’m driving in a through lane when a girl rolls across my front end from a parking lane. No attempt to stop and look both ways, she just kept a-rollin’ along.

#2.

Guy in a black truck almost cuts me off trying to get into the through lanes

#3 (this is the worst, IMHO)

I have parked and am walking to the mall doors. Some guy is trying to back into a spot just across from my car. The spot behind it is empty too. Some old lady does a drive-through and grabs buddy’s spot!! Does she do the courteous thing and back up into the spot behind her which is free and clear?? Nope, she just sits there.

1 Like

Strong start, the rest of your post was kind of a letdown.

3 Likes