Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

Our grocery shopping is nearly quotidian, so we are often getting meat, vegetables, fruit. We’d much rather pick that stuff out ourselves.

Plus, we go to the farm market, Asian store, seafood joint like once a week, too.

Whereas we do a big shopping every other week, plus a couple of fill-in trips.

I envy those that have good curbside pickup grocery places. I’ve been shopping in person since April 2020, because the stores near me all couldn’t be bothered to read instructions. My son has a bunch of food allergies, but they made ‘common substitutions’ like different cookie brands, different bread brands, or peanut butter for sun butter than made it impossible to keep using them.

Because of this, I would never trust a shopper. They just don’t “get it”.

You can’t say “no substitutions”?

That’s what I started doing across the board when they gave me a vegan gluten-free pizza in substitution for an Amy’s spinach & feta pizza. (That is non-vegan and contains gluten and is delicious.) Blech, vegan “cheez” AND gluten-free crust on the same pizza sounds positively miserable.

Of course if you say “no substitutions” you certainly run the risk of falling below the “free pickup” threshold.

You can say no substitutions all you want when they don’t bother to check the instructions.

Ugh.

Can I assume that we are talking about a Kroger-owned entity? I’m sorry to diss my hometown corporation, but they colossally suck. They didn’t used to. I’m hopeful that they won’t always. But they certainly do now.

Actually no — our two big local chains are subsidiaries of Ahold Delhaize and Albertsons.

Huh, so they suck too. Too bad.

1 Like

:iatp:^∞

Yeah, I shop Kroger because it’s relatively close and has better prices, selection, and produce (usually) than the store that’s closest to us. Kroger cashiers mostly suck so I shop curbside or self-checkout.

I have both Publix and Kroger very close to my house. The 2 stores are virtually side by side. I prefer Publix overall and particularly for service, but there are a few things that Kroger does better. I’d say I shop about 2/3 Publix, 1/3 Kroger for my regular grocery runs, mostly depending on what items I intend to buy.

I have a Sprouts that’s even closer. I go there fairly regularly too, but it’s has a much more limited inventory of non-food items.

We have a Shop Rite, Stop n Shop, and a Food Town within 3 miles. Expand to 5 miles and there’s another Shop Rite and Foodtown, plus a Lidl and Aldi.

One odd thing about the Kroger stores where I live: many have a specific nickname that everyone knows and refers to. The more well known ones: Murder Kroger, Disco Kroger, Gay Kroger aka Krogay, Kosher Kroger, and Hipster Kroger.

Krogay is the one by my house.

2 Likes

Dude, make sure you have their app and make use of their full size freebies coupons.

Curious of the backstory behind these.

Murder Kroger has an obvious background, and it’s own wiki. They bulldozed the old murder Kroger, and a fancy new one sits almost on the same spot:

Disco Kroger was right next to the Limelight, a mega disco from the 1980’s that was widely known. If you shopped in that Kroger in the Limelight’s heyday you’d frequently see customers that staggered over from the disco.
An article looking back at the Limelight: A Look Back At Atlanta’s Disco Scene Ahead Of ‘Limelight’ Program – WABE

1 Like

on vacation and a kid got run down and feeling sick. either strep or ear infection. visit to the local urgent care and pharmacy and i am drinking in my hotel room waiting for the kid to feel better

2 Likes

Things that have broken in the twig house this week:

1. Dehumidifier
  2. Cuisinart
  3. Television

That’s not counting the new microwave a month or two ago and then a new glass tray for the new microwave because the first one chipped after just a few weeks. :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

First world stuff, I know, but still… the week is barely half over.

1 Like

I likely broke my foot today. Twisted my ankle stepping off a curb and felt a pop, now a few hours later it hurts more than it did originally. Nice bruise, too. Will go get some X-rays tomorrow after work. Glad to have supplemental accident coverage.

Side note: my company’s accident coverage cuts you a check for the amount billed, not the negotiated amount, so you make money on accidents as long as the negotiated rate is under $1,500 (that’s the per-accident limit on the accident coverage). I will make a little extra money on this annoyance.

3 Likes