Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

Lots of $.

1 Like

This house is not worth it.

Two heaters will overload a circuit, lots of the little heaters are 1,000-1,500w so you’re taking 10-15A each. On a 15A circuit. So that’s likely the culprit. But it should generally just trip a breaker and not require replacement. It’s possibly it caused the breaker to fail and you need a new one installed.

So probably not worth rewiring. You could re-wire this circuit and do a 20A service. Even that would likely be $500-$1,500 depending on access. Maybe more. Easy solution is to not use two space heaters at the same time.

1 Like

How else do you know what time it is?

I don’t always wear my watch, so clocks are helpful.

Yep

My phone. Like a civilized, technology dependent, socially isolated human being.

I rarely have my phone on me. It’s usually in the dining room so I can hear it ring. If I need to look something up on the web, I’ll grab the tablet that’s in the TV room.

I’ll check my text messages every few hours unless I’m specifically waiting for something to come thru; I do not even have a ringtone for them. Non-work e-mails, maybe once a day, and usually on the computer.

Mr aj called my brother-in-law who knows about stuff. He walked Mr aj thru the fix. So I can be un-annoyed for a while.

3 Likes

We’ve had this conversation before! I think in the context of using skim milk in coffee. That said, I do like a little fat if I’m drinking the milk, so I typically buy 1%. But if I’m ordering coffee from a coffee shop then I ask for skim milk.

I use both cream and milk in ice cream. The recipe that I use most often calls for something dumb: 1c cream and 3c half & half which isn’t how it’s sold at all. But that works out to 2.5c cream and 1.5c milk. I just buy a pint of heavy cream and then add 2c 1% milk. So it’s got less fat than the recipe calls for, but not a ton less. But to me that’s a plus. One time I actually had a cup of cream leftover from another recipe so I bought a quart of half & half… figuring I’d use the last cup of half & half in mashed potatoes. So then I made it exactly as the recipe called for and it was too much fat. Edible, but not as good as my modified version.

Too much fat detracts from the flavor. My favorite ice cream to make is brown sugar vanilla bean, which is awesome by itself, but also goes great with any kind of pie at Thanksgiving. I want to taste the vanilla & the molasses… not the fat.

When I was a teenager, Kroger carried 1/2% milk, which was really perfect, and also what my stepdad liked, so my mom & stepdad always had it. I haven’t seen that in the store in decades though. 1% is close enough though.

1 Like

And not to brag, but everyone raves about my ice cream, so other people don’t seem to miss the fat either.

Breyers ice cream is pretty low in fat, and I like their mint chocolate chip. You do have to be super careful with Breyers now as half their flavors are not ice cream but … I can’t even recall any more … something else.

One of my all time favorite commercials was a Breyers one that they no longer air. They gave kids maybe around age 7 or so a carton of some other brand of ice cream and the kids are really struggling to read all the chemically-sounding ingredients (xanthan gum, mono and digycerides, polysorbate, etc). Then they take away the other ice cream from the most adorable kid and hand her a carton of Breyers. “Oh!!!” she exclaims. “It’s got milk, cream, sugar, and strawberries. That’s all!”

Yep, milk was the number one ingredient (not the point of the commercial, and they don’t run it any more because nowadays half their flavors are loaded with that other crap, but… milk is still the top ingredient in most of their flavors.)

A grocery store in my area had a gelato machine and lotsa nice flavours. It was a nice summer treat, but they stopped it a few years back. :frowning:

I liked the gelato I had in Italy, but I don’t really care for it in North America. I prefer ice cream, then custard, then froyo, then somewhere way at the bottom is gelato.

Not that I would turn up my nose at any of them, in a world without diabetes; I love sweets, so I can’t let myself have them.

We hafta go for steak, sushi, and ice cream some time!!! :yum:

1 Like

Hmmm, I’d say

ice cream = gelato > frozen custard > froyo

1 Like

Garage door remote quit working. Changed the battery, but still not working. It opened when I pushed the wall button. Finally reset the remote and now everything is working. Super annoying in the interim having to park in the driveway, bring the kid into the house, open the garage door from inside, then get back in the car and park in the garage.

I have the opposite problem. Remote works fine (at least I assume it does… it did the last time I tried it anyway, but now it’s programmed into my car). But the keypad on the outside of the garage stopped working and I haven’t been able to fix it.

It will close the garage, but not open it.

I like everything from premium ice cream through non-dairy sorbet. And yeah, the old Breyers, before they added all the gums and whatnot, was great. Sometimes I want a dense creamy ice cream, and other times a lighter, fluffier ice cream hits the spot.

We drank 2% milk for years on the theory that it was healthier, and finally decided it was worth the added enjoyment to buy whole milk.

The best milk I ever had was real whole Guernsey milk, which runs about 4.5% fat, as compared to the standard 3.25%-3.5% fat of supermarket “whole milk”.

Well Holstein milk is much lower in fat than Jerseys or Guernseys. And Holsteins produce a little more milk, so they’re more economical.

I think most milk processors are skimming some of the fat off for butter and cream, so the milk you buy in the store is usually lower fat than straight out of the cow. And Holstein milk only starts out around 3.7%.

That said, my dairy farming relative keeps a few Jerseys (and mostly Holsteins) because his coop requires a certain minimum fat content, which would be sketchy with pure Holstein milk.

Yes, Holsteins produce milk at around 3.5%, and the legal minimum for “whole milk” is 3.25%. But Jersey and Guernsey cows produce richer milk. Their milk has more protein, too, i think it’s mostly just less water. So maybe the taste isn’t that different, and mostly it was great because it was so fresh.

But to me, breakfast isn’t complete without some butterfat. Whole milk on my cereal, or half& half in my coffee, or a mug of cocoa.