Annoyed Thoughts: archive 1

When you are working on something before lunch and when you come back you print it.

But only after you print the 70 page document, you realize you were only about 60% done with it…

[cross post with Stupid Stuff You Do thread]

Fool in the middle seat put his bag into the overhead compartment sideways…as in, not wheels first but wheels to the left.

3 Likes

Tried to give blood last week and today, rejected both times for not having enough iron. I really hate taking pills but I think I’m going to have to start taking vitamins :rage:

2 Likes

What were your levels?

I get good results from taking a prenatal vitamin, which has higher levels of iron than general vitamins. Gets my hemoglobin levels up to the 14 range (minimum for women is 12.5).

Holy shit, I notice sucralose in something. Within 20 minutes, it feels like my eyes are being gouged out by cats and it goes on for ~3 days.

1 Like

Today, 12.1 and 12.2 (second test on the other hand). Worse than last week which was 12.4 and 12.1.

1 Like

I wanted to check the balance of a Target gift card. The app was no help so I googled. Clicked and entered required info and it gave me no balance info but took me to traget.com. Target.com wants me to sign in. I don’t know the password. Why do I have to sign in to get a gift card balance? Go back to google and see that the site where I entered my info is not target. So I probably gave away my gift card. Ugh!

ETA Yup I found on Target app where I can add a gift card to my acct and it said the card was not valid. It would only be $5 or $10 but still annoying.
It’s obviously my fault for not paying attention but c’mon google. I did report the site so hopefully people won’t get scammed.

3 Likes

On a call with foster son’s parents (along with case worker, case worker’s supervisor, our case manager, and a few others). They yelled at us for letting him get a flu shot and demanded he get no additional vaccines of any kind. We aren’t authorized to make those decisions, we are required to follow doctor’s recommendations on things and when the parents disagree, a medical board makes a final determination, but now we are the enemy.

The case worker actually did a good job of defending us and all, but we deal with the parents directly because there are unsupervised visits involved, so the good rapport we had built is now basically gone. It’s frustrating to be in this position.

2 Likes

That sounds awful

1 Like

that sounds lousy. sorry it happened.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the doctor’s recommendation be to get a flu shot? I’m assuming that he’s not allergic.

Regardless; I’m sorry that parents are being difficult. How frustrating. You’re helping out their child and it’s too bad they can’t see that.

Correct. Unless there is a note in his file about not getting vaccinated or the parents are proactive about letting their resistance known, and then the state makes a decision.

Flu vaccines are standard for visits this time of year as well.

Parents are rarely thankful toward foster parents. I think they know we aren’t the problem, but we are the face of their problem, so they take it out on us. I don’t expect gratitude, but it’s hard to be treated like we are trying to harm these kids when all we are doing is caring for them as best we can.

7 Likes

My (single, ungrounded) office outlet melted at some point last night. Guess having a sewing machine, space heater, two computer monitors, laptop, lamp, iron, air filter, and a phone charger plugged into one surge protector was where I went wrong.

To be fair, I didn’t have all those things turned on at once. But I did leave the space heater running overnight at a thermostat set to 80, which I don’t usually do.

Ungrounded means it’s probably from the 1960s or prior. Might even be old knob & tube from a hundred years ago. Might be aluminum wire, which isn’t much better, afaik.

I’m not in P&C, all I know is State Farm charges me like $800/yr more because my house has knob & tube, so I’m guessing an Actuary somewhere figured that out.

I’d call an electrician. We’ve fully re-wired the first floor, and wired the basement from the panel when we finished it. We spent maybe $3k and they’ve only had to cut out one square foot of plaster so far. Will do the second floor this spring and be done. The third floor appears to all be modern Romex.

1 Like

Yeah, our house has a lot of weird issues from over the years (it’s almost 100 years old and has been remodeled several times). We have some knob and tube in our basement but most of that is no longer in use, just not removed. Everything in our house is slightly wrong because apparently whoever owned this house back in the day had a bunch of incompetent drunk buddies with plumbing, electricity, carpentry, masonry, etc. as their hobbies.

So whenever anything needs replaced we know it’s going to cost a lot because nothing is standard.

I feel that. Our house turns 110 years old in 2022. It’s been pretty well looked after but a lot of things are old so stuff fails all the time. Old houses are a real PITA but I do love them.

My annoyed thought of the week is regarding stone contractors. I must have called a dozen. Most straight up ghosted me for whatever reason. Three had me go out in person only to later ghost me or tell me they don’t actually have what they said they have. One quoted me $195 per sq ft for soapstone, bloody hell. I finally got a quote yesterday for $110 per foot, I went and saw the slab, and they say it’ll be done in 3-4 weeks. We’ll see.

2 Likes

I bought some cheesecake at the local deli. Thank goodness I was eating a piece in small bites because I came across a dirty, smelly, nasty, loathesome, puppy-kicking, devil-worshipping rai-SIN!!! :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

In cheesecake???

That’s just wrong. Raisins have their place, but cheesecake is definitely not that place.

4 Likes

IN THE TRASH BIN!!!1one

2 Likes