Advice needed. Best Halloween candy

Live shot of Space Lobster making preparations

5 Likes

What a way to get your neighbor to pay for half.

1 Like

:iatp:

M&Ms are good for all ages. We usually have a wide assortment of candy.

1 Like

i vote in favor of take5s. solid and not super common choice.

whatever I buy, i plan on overbuying and eating the leftovers. so it has to be tasty enough to me. I like to eat candy. its a short list of stuff I dislike. (no coconut, hate laffy taffy, not a fan of 3musketeers. there’s more but…)

1 Like

Go big or go home. He said he wanted the best.

4 Likes

Go for a variety.

Twix, Reese’s Cups, Sour and Atomic Bombs. All full size. Toblerone is sooo good but can be hard to find.

1 Like

That’s what we do. A few variety pack boxes, and the kids get to choose what they want. Last year, we had a “menu” at the door and we sent their requests down a slide from the window.

2 Likes

Refrigerated Reese’s cups are fine, but it sounds like you need Reese’s Pieces.

You can make any candy better with a $5 wrapper on it.

1 Like

Not interested in you and yr gf’s pet names for each other. Stay on topic, Mr Chips.

If we had a handful of kids come through, I might go with full-size candy bars. We’ll have 150-200, and we’re in a small loop off a semi-main road so we have kids that don’t make the walk. 2 bags of the assorted stuff from Costco gets us through.

We’ll also get some mini-bags of Goldfish and Cheeze-Its for the infants, and we’ll try to have dog treats for all the 4-legged woofs.

1 Like

150-200 kids, full sized chocolate bars, is what, sub $150? Anyone on this forum can afford that if they want to. I figure kids gotta have a couple houses they go to that they can get excited about, so I don’t mind popping the big bucks.
My SO takes the kids of our immediate friends and neighbours that we know are going to show up and actually puts together a package for each of those kids. Depending on the age they might get a book or a small toy, or a better bundle of candy. I think that’s pretty thoughtful of her, it’s also a good reason for the neighbours to bring their kids over so we can gush.

This thread is reminding me of my son’s first halloween. Didn’t want to go to the first house. Didn’t want to go to the second house He hits about the third house, realizes he’s getting candy when he rings, and he takes off running across the lawn to get to the next house. I had to holup, take the sidewalk there buddy.

2 Likes

House on my street gives out full size candy bars AND a can of soda. That’s a very popular place.

Big = popular if that’s what you’re going for. Specific candy bar doesn’t matter too much as long as it’s not junk. Snickers are almost universally loved.

Now a movie sized box of candy (Reese’s pieces or junior mints)… that would be unique

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

Give out Big Texas Cinnamon Rolls, they sell them in bulk at Sams Club or Costco i think

1 Like

:iatp:

1 Like

We used to go to my parents neighborhood (think like Seaside, but in Louisville, KY) where there were bazillions of trick or treaters when our kids were young. I remember seeing a guy pulling a wagon with a cooler full of beer around in it. I walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder and said “trick or treat”

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a question of whether I can afford full-sized chocolate bars. It’s a question of “what candy do kids really want?”

Sure, kids are never going to pass those up. Make it the 2-3 lb. monsters, you’ll have kids lined up from you to the nearest school to get them. But will they be just as happy with a package of Skittles? Sour Patch Kids? So forth. Some kids might pass up chocolate in favor of those, or maybe they’ll look for suckers, or something else.

I may have to commission a study for this. Maybe I can get an intern early and put them to work on it.