Adulting your parents is (still) hard

Hi. It’s been a while. I thought we had a thread about this somewhere, but I can’t find it for some reason. Weird. Whatever, if someone knows where that thread went then this can get merged with that.

As a refresher, I had a thread - or at least I thought I had a thread - about Ted Hoffman Sr. and his struggles with a degenerative neurological condition and the resulting problems it caused, which led him to go from his apartment into assisted living after some period of time trying to get the rest of my siblings on board. And I think I had discussed a little bit of his time in assisted living, how things were going there, the good/bad of it, and generally laying out his progress toward end of life. And some of you offered your own personal experiences with dealing with your parents, your SOs dealing with their parents and how you were involved with that, and so on.

For me, the final pages are about to be written.

Dad fell out of bed on Friday. He also fell out of bed on Thursday, but apparently was fine. The fall on Friday, staff found him as they came to get him for lunch. They got him up, he wanted to go back to bed, they put him back in bed. He didn’t complain about anything. Dinner came, he didn’t want to go. Fine, we’ve said if he doesn’t want to go he doesn’t have to.

Saturday morning, breakfast. He wants to go down, they take him down. He can’t swallow. Granted, his food is blended because he can’t chew and it’s been that way for several weeks, but he can’t swallow even that. Can’t swallow liquid. The facility calls, says “something is wrong, he needs to go to the hospital.” Ambulance takes him, he goes to ER, they run tests including a CT scan checking for something neurological.

He’s broken the C2 vertebrae. It’s not a perfect break like if it were a hanging, but it’s pretty impressive for not doing that.

He’s not a candidate for surgery, which rules out flying him to the major city for that. The local hospital, still a Level I trauma center, can’t do anything for him. Running an IV and doing fluids only drags out the endgame, and he’s already lost 40 lbs. this calendar year and is skin and bones. That leaves “keep him as pain free as possible, let nature finish its course” which is where we’re at.

On one hand it sucks for all the obvious reasons. On the other hand, it’s better because we don’t have to worry about him choking to death, or aspirating on food and having infections that follow and that death. And, we don’t have a fall that leads to something like a brain bleed, which leads to a stroke, which leads to throwing a clot elsewhere. This is about as good a scenario as we could hope for, other than him breaking his neck.

I’ll have one more update when he finally goes, which I expect will be in about 3-4 days depending on how long his body can hold out.

17 Likes

https://community.goactuary.com/t/adulting-your-parents-is-hard/2086

It’s in the lounge. His level probably dropped to where he can’t see it.

Even if it’s the appropriate or least bad option, it’s tough. Peace be with you and your family.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that Ted

1 Like

sorry to hear that Ted.

knowing you have one play left and knowing you have to use that play are different feelings. hope he is kept pain free and you and family can help boost his spirits (and eachothers)

1 Like

I’m so sorry, Ted. Your family is in my thoughts and my prayers.

1 Like

I’m sorry Ted, we’ll keep you and your loved ones in our prayers.

1 Like

The last time I visited Jaspmama before she was briefly in the home before going to THE home, I wasn’t ready to see the condition she was in. It was like, when Jaspapa passed, she stopped pretending to try, and she suddenly aged like 600 years. I’m still kind of haunted by it.

Peace to you. :dove:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry Ted; that’s tough. Praying for the while Hoffman family.

If you ask Serena for your Trusted status back so you can get to the lounge thread she has the ability to override whatever status you’ve “earned” based on posting.

That’s rough. Will be thinking of you & your family.

1 Like

Ted Hoffman Sr., 83, passed away this morning at about 9:50am. It was very peaceful, when everyone had their back turned for a minute and he just simply stopped breathing. We couldn’t have asked for it to go any better.

I am OK, the worst part is having to call a few people directly and vocalize the words “Dad died this morning.” I might not (do not) have it under control for that. Otherwise, I’m relieved and the sisters are doing well - you know, well for an event like this - because he went so calm and peacefully.

13 Likes

All the best to you and family, Ted.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, but glad the end went as smoothly as possible.

Sorry to hear that. Yes, the communicating to others is the hardest part (for me it was).

1 Like

Is there someone else that you can task this out to? I know on several occasions I, as a second-tier mourner, have been tasked with notifications so that the first-tier mourners could focus on other pressing issues such as funeral arrangements and medical bills and processing their own grief. Like when my cousin passed in 2020 and I asked if there was anything I could do to help the response was yes, please let everyone in these branches of the family tree know. That way cousin’s wife and adult children didn’t have to worry about it.

I was more than willing to help out in that way.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. good that you and others were present to provide him and each other love and support.

Deepest condolences to you and your family. :people_hugging:

Condolences. It is a blessing that the end comes quickly and quietly.

I have had the same problem with the calls and I asked some of those I wanted to call first to contact the others in their circle for me. Call one cousin and have them contact others. Also FB is a good vehicle to get a wider word out.

3 Likes

Sounds like a George Clooney movie, in which he is phased out by ChatGPT.