Actuary Sighting

true dat

Andrew Tate and the Alpha Men even!

Around 3:55

New York Times (on the need for Kamela Harris to be ready to take over ) -

He is, thankfully, experiencing “very mild symptoms” from the coronavirus, but it’s still hard to ignore actuarial reality and the plain fact that he appears frailer than a man or woman of 60 (or, for that matter, his 57-year-old vice president).

Actuaries - keeping it real.

Hughes was later revealed to have worked as a consultant and actuary for the University of California in Oakland during the 2000s, under the name Barry Timothy O’Beirnes. Colleagues there remembered him in only positive terms.

1 Like

I was watching episode 4 of Poker Face on Peacock and there’s an actuary from “Nationwide” in it.

2 Likes

I want to watch this. Need to find a friend with a Peacock account.

I started watching and thought just the first episode was out. I was happy to see I could watch more. Then I thought maybe they released the whole season and was sad to see only the first four episodes are out. New ones drop on Thursdays I think.

Not only that but they were in Kenosha, WI. Not to many Actuaries in Kenosha, especially from Nationwide. (I lived in Kenosha for the first 45 years of my life)

I haven’t seen the show but people do commute to Chicago and/or Milwaukee from Kenosha.

I have family that did for decades and it was even a plot point on ER when Mark’s first wife got a job in Milwaukee and was ready to give up on the marriage. His solution was to move the family to Kenosha so he could keep his job in Chicago and she could take the job in Milwaukee. (Not what ended up happening, but was Mark’s preferred solution.) Since I have family that did precisely that for years (she worked in Milwaukee / he worked in Chicago), it stuck with me.

Now if the show was depicting an actuary going to an office full of actuaries and the office was in Kenosha… no, that seems unlikely.

1 Like

Currently listening to Swimmers by Julie Otsuka, which mentioned an insurance actuary.

1 Like

Man on the street since…forever

Can confirm this point at the very least.

Ben Affleck movie: The Accountant. The Accountant Movie CLIP - I Have a Pocket Protector (2016) - Ben Affleck Movie - YouTube

My oldest child wanted to go to the “pop-up” Museum of Failure in Brooklyn for her 20th birthday yesterday, which was actually pretty good.

at the exit of the museum was a “wall of failure”, and my kid found the following sticky on the wall:

Which of y’all posted that

literally

additional: this was my addition to the wall

3 Likes

I wish I could claim it, that’s nothing. Mine is 6 exams a total of 13 times. I can outfail anyone here.

2 Likes

I could have posted that although I never kept track. And I’m sure I failed more.

But my worst failure was getting a score in the 10th %-ile on the physics GRE. This the the failure that helped me decide on a pursuit of an actuarial career tho.

1 Like

I read the postit as 3 separate exams (each) a total of 6 times.

The paren added for clarity. So they failed 3X6=18 times. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know I failed 2 exams 5 times (3 one and 2 the other) and another exam once but beyond that I really don’t remember. I’m pretty sure I had more than 6 failures but it hasn’t mattered in a very long time.

1 Like

I had a coworker who failed P 6 times before passing it on the 7th, and then never failing any exam again.

2 Likes