Actuary in Central Park avoids punishment

Somehow I’m not surprised.

I assume that New York is an employment-at-will state? I think she’s going to have a tough time proving her case when she was generating so much negative publicity for Franklin Templeton.

Should’ve kept her nose clean.

1 Like

Yup.

If I were a hiring manager, I steer clear of a candidate that seems prone to hissy fits. Just not worth the headache when there’s plenty of other candidates.

1 Like

particularly racial charged hussy fits

1 Like

James Woods never looked so young!

CAS ppl also had to watch it. That movie has an “Office Space” vibe to me.

Tried to find any updates on her “lawsuit” against her former employer. Couldn’t find anything legally concrete but there was this: Franklin Templeton ‘stand by’ firing of viral former employee Amy Cooper: CEO

Basically they said, “Yeah no, you’re still fired for being racist.”

poor amy :frowning:

It does make me wonder if she might have some mental health issues, which would be unfortunate. A lot of people have low-level conditions that aren’t accurately diagnosed. The way she was hysterical over a Black man reminds me of an autistic tantrum, not a severe one but I’ve seen how some people on the spectrum react to conflict.

(I am not a doctor, I am not a mental health professional, I only have experience with a few people with autism and they are all great people.)

seems like she has some anger issues. I don’t know about autism though. For the few people I know with autism, that doesn’t seem like an indication of it. She just seems angry.

I hear of people doing far worse things than she did, and still employed because the internet mob didn’t go after them. Who was really harmed by her actions? Christian Cooper seems just fine.

1 Like

Well, I would argue that Christian Cooper is fine only because of the video… without the video story could end very differently for him.

Also, “Other people got away” is not really a valid argument for someone that caught to avoid punishment though. Though I would say I am not sure if getting fired is the right punishment.

I think what she did was full of malice, whether it was anger driven or not. Anger isn’t really a defense for her action. Again I don’t know if job action is the right course, but what she did was nasty.

2 Likes

okay, but i still feel sorry for her.

1 Like

Can they prove she is racist?
Can you fire someone for being racist?

I think Franklin Templeton will have to handover a fat chunk of change for this.

Also Amy does not seem autistic to me. If anything the anime loving bird watcher seemed on the spectrum to me (albeit marginally).

Is Amy an asshole for pulling some shit with the cops? Yes.

If she has been cleared in a court of law and Christian Cooper himself is not pressing charges then give her job back or prepare to choke on it.

So if some stranger came up and rubbed your boob, no consequences since you’re just fine afterwards?

I don’t think that is a fair comparison.

Maybe - A stranger walks by and yells out “nice boobs, can I suck em?” and stands there, but you keep walking and nothing happens.

Possibly. New York is an at will employment state though, so employers can generally fire someone for basically any reason other than those that are legally protected (race, gender, religion,…). There will of course be lawyers, and a settlement would not be surprising.

A more fair comparison would be someone following and threatening harm.

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything wrong for you to feel bad for her. That is a subjective thing. Plus I am sure there are many aspects of her that are good, but we don’t know.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I thought Christian was being an absolute creep by trying lure her dog away by offering treats. Sounds like he carries treats for this express reason and does this often.

To your second question: yes, in the US. Possibly not in Montana, they have different laws, but that’s irrelevant. It’s an absolute yes.

To your first: I guess you can just prove that she’s an erratic person who was charged with making unnecessary 911 calls against a Black person (charges being dropped due to a plea deal to take sensitivity training) and caused negative press for the firm, which is enough to be fired.

I doubt that’s going to happen… they already pissed off one side, why pissed off the other? I think from a PR standpoint they’d rather pay any possible damage ordered by court to Amy than to hire her back.

1 Like