Actuarial Chess Club

It honestly doesn’t matter much if Hans really cheated way more than he admitted to on chess dot com. If it turns out he didn’t cheat in the Sinquefield Cup, then this whole thing was blown way out of proportion and Magnus mishandled it. This is also Ben Finegold’s take on it.

I dunno, if it turns out he regularly cheats online, wouldn’t you just never want to play against him?

Is it that you assume OtB is different, because of the security?

Or do you assume innocence in every individual event?

Or is the idea that you need to catch him in the act?

Or just that Carlsen shouldn’t be playing judge?

I haven’t read this yet, but am posting it here so that I might…this is more for someone who doesn’t know much about chess:

link to text

https://pdf.fivefilters.org/makepdf.php?v=2.6&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sltrib.com%2Fnews%2F2022%2F10%2F01%2Fandy-larsen-everything-you-need%2F&api_key=&mode=multi-story&output=pdf&template=A4&images=1&date=1&sub=&title=Your+Personal+Newspaper&order=desc&date_start=&submit=Create

Tl;dr:

1 Like

Didn’t realize Magnus had released a statement. Here it is.

My statement regarding the last few weeks. pic.twitter.com/KY34DbcjLo

— Magnus Carlsen (@MagnusCarlsen) September 26, 2022

I’d wait. It’s going to get a bit more juicy in a few days.

1 Like

I thought this was interesting. I don’t get it though. Seems like it raised fewer challenges than a good opening. Then again, I’m no Magnus Carlsen.

1 Like

Chesscom’s report of Neimann’s cheating is out.

My Actuarial Opinion is that they need to work on their Excel charts.

72 pages?!?!?!

20 pages of text, with pictures included in the text, followed by 50 pages of graphics

1 Like

Yeah I scrolled to the bottom to try to find the “in conclusion “ and then ended up scrolling up 50 pages to find it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It appears cheating among GMs online is not uncommon. I believe Ben Finegold said about 25% of GMs cheat online, but only 1 in 1000 of titled players cheat over the board.

Should cheating once permanently ban one from playing OTB? Even drunk Magnus received helped once from David Howell and even took over another person’s account for 1 Bullet game, which goes against Lichess’ policy.

The issue I have is this whole thing happened because Magnus lost to Hans in St. Louis, and now he’s bitching about it. Had he not lost the game, Magnus would not have brought it up…which leads me to my next question: How much of an impact (if any) did chess dot com acquiring the Play Magnus group have an impact on how they handled the situation? Chess dot com has displayed numerous times that integrity is not a value they hold.

What’s also sick is the number of people that are attempting to profit off the chess drama. Hikaru is definitely the biggest beneficiary on his Twitch streams and continues to use FM Yosha Iglesias’ (literally never heard of her until weeks ago) severely flawed analysis. Of course now that her videos and tweets have been getting views from many people with confirmation bias, she’s been promoting her own chess website. As a current Masters student in Statistics, seeing random redditors and FMs trying to do statistical analysis and then portraying it as incriminating evidence against Hans while saying Ken Regan’s methods are out of date, is very cringe.

Being good at chess does not automatically mean you’re good in statistics, or anything else for that matter. If your qualifications for doing serious statistical analysis are: never studied math, attended college for a few months while you were 18 and dating a physics professor once, then I apologize that I can’t take you seriously. I think it was on pg. 17 of chess dot com’s report that basically debunked Yosha’s “analysis”.

I want more chess drama…

To your sort of rhetorical question, I don’t see any obvious reason why cheating once in a sponsored online tournament, should not result in a OTB ban.

But I would think the security and punishments fit whatever consumers want? I haven’t followed cheating scandals before though.

And I’m guessing that FIDE and Online Chess are going to change their policies as the market share of revenue and prize money changes.

Did you mean the double negative? If not, I agree. If it were, I believe a thorough investigation would net a lot of people.

A few days ago, IM and Norwegian Chess President Joachim Nilsen admitted to cheating during the Pro Chess League in 2016/2017 season on chess dot com in 3 games. He had an accomplice feeding him moves in the same room (don’t know who but Magnus Carlsen was on the same team).

2 years ago, Tigran Petrosian was banned for cheating in the Pro Chess League and he was not happy with the ban. My guess is because the cheating ONLINE is rampant.

I don’t think being caught cheating online should prevent you from playing OTB. And I think Magnus’ issue is more about Hans than about actual cheating throughout the chess community.

Try playing Duck Chess on chess.com, it is a REALLY fun and interesting variant. You can play this over the board as well …

Here is video from Eric Rosen where he gives explanation of his thought process:

Never heard of it…will have to investigate

Yes. “I don’t see why not.” would have been a more cromulent reply. :slight_smile:

Of course it wouldn’t make sense to retroactively apply to Hans (or other GMs). There would have to be up front messaging, from both Chess,com and FIDE, that they are sharing a ban list. And Chess,com would need to be both more transparent and less forgiving.

But basically. I think the online market-share is going to cause online cheating to become less acceptable.

Duck Chess is Much more interesting to me than “The Chess Scandal”

2 Likes

Nice and sleepy voice.

Unfortunately, chess dot com will never be less forgiving. They always give 2nd chances to titled players who confess to cheating and allow them to create another account. In fact, I think they even give us plebs 2nd chances too if we confessed after getting caught, and say we won’t do it again (or something like that).

Also agree no bans should occur retroactively. Who knows, maybe chess dot com and FIDE do team up together after all of this?

1 Like