20Q, the quarter-century edition

Uh, re-read my post. You seem to be refuting something I didn’t actually write. The part you quoted was about plastic, not shower curtains.

I’m not attempting to refute anything, I’m clarifying what i meant by “decorative”. And I’m giving an example of a plastic item in my home that’s decorative.

I had wondered if decorative ruled out functional, but that does help.

Does the object contain or conceal other objects (if that is not its current state, is that an intended use of it)?

1. Vorian_Atreides: Is it a physical object? Yes
  2. John.S.Mill: is it more dense than water No
  3. The_President: Is it smaller than a bread box? Yes, generally
  4. Vorian_Atreides: Is it alive or alive at some point in time? No
  5. John.S.Mill: is it man made Yes
  6. The_President: Is it decorative? Yes
  7. John.S.Mill: can you cut it with a pair of scissors that depends, but probably
  8. The_President: Would it be damaged if you dropped it on a hard floor from 5 feet? No
  9. Vorian_Atreides: Is it generally found indoors (as a decorative item)? Yes
  10. John.S.Mill: is it generally found in a specific type of room? No
  11. The_President: Does the object have movable components? Yes
  12. twig93: Is it typically found in a home? (given the object) Yes
  13. The_President: Does the object contain or conceal other objects (if that is not its current state, is that an intended use of it)? No

I mean, every non-transparent object conceals something, but you wouldn’t say that a knife “conceals other objects”, even if it sometimes does.

Do most homes have this object?

1. Vorian_Atreides: Is it a physical object? Yes
  2. John.S.Mill: is it more dense than water No
  3. The_President: Is it smaller than a bread box? Yes, generally
  4. Vorian_Atreides: Is it alive or alive at some point in time? No
  5. John.S.Mill: is it man made Yes
  6. The_President: Is it decorative? Yes
  7. John.S.Mill: can you cut it with a pair of scissors that depends, but probably
  8. The_President: Would it be damaged if you dropped it on a hard floor from 5 feet? No
  9. Vorian_Atreides: Is it generally found indoors (as a decorative item)? Yes
  10. John.S.Mill: is it generally found in a specific type of room? No
  11. The_President: Does the object have movable components? Yes
  12. twig93: Is it typically found in a home? (given the object) Yes
  13. The_President: Does the object contain or conceal other objects (if that is not its current state, is that an intended use of it)? No
  14. twig93: Do most homes have this object? I doubt it

It’s in a home, but most don’t have it.

I thought it could be a statue of some sort; but those don’t have moving parts. (Parts is parts.)

Possibly a 3D printer . . .

A 3D printer would be damaged being dropped from 5 feet though

I think a 3D printer would be more dense than water…

Maybe one of those perpetual motion machines? (unoffiial)

I’m not sure if you could cut the wires(?) with scissors, but it would work with the other questions.

eta: Nope, denser than water…

Can we have some clues? (Official :wink:)

it’s probably something wooden

jk not alive or alive at some time

I think the clarification about plastic actually doesn’t rule out something made of wood. A wooden chair wasn’t alive, although the stuff it was made from was.

Meta-clue: i don’t think you need one. But here’s a soft clue

Yes, soyleche is correct. A wooden chair has never been alive, even though the stuff out was made from was.

Yeah, VA’s question was worded a little differently than past similar questions that said something like “or made from components that were once alive”. Slightly different question reasonably gets a slightly different interpretation.

Wooden… model airplane? Check it. (Unofficial suggestion).

Hmm, that’s an interesting idea. Decorative but movable or with movable components is throwing me.

I guess a wooden model airplane is movable, but would it be damaged if you dropped it from 5 feet?

My husband freaks out if the housekeeper dusts his model airplanes too vigorously. I wouldn’t want to be around if one fell from a height of 5’. That said, I don’t think they’re wooden and I know wooden model airplanes exist so that might not be a valid data point.

a balloon?

Official?