2024 Giro

We all know who is going to get first so who do you think will get second

Someone whoā€™s never been in my kitchen.

5 Likes

I had to google to N that R.

1 Like

There could be a crash, race isnā€™t decided yet.

Edit: Hadnā€™t realized that he had actually crashed yesterday and still won the stage by a ton.

1 Like

Guess who tried to win todayā€™s sprint stage

My boy Geraint Thomas

Whenever the topic of giro comes up, I plan on a first AND a second.

4 Likes

Race lead in jeopardy for :checks notes: wearing clothing provided by race organizers.

Tadej Pogačar (UAE Team Emirates) swapped his purple or maroon-coloured shorts for team issue black shorts for stage 4 of the Giro dā€™Italia after UCI commissaires threatened to disqualify him from the race after due to conflicting interpretations of their own rules concerning leaderā€™s jersey.

Pogačar won stage 2 on Sunday and pulled on the race leaderā€™s pink jersey. On Monday he raced in a pink upper and purple shorts as part of a skinsuit provided by race organisers RCS Sport and their clothing sponsor Castelli.

RCS Sport opted to combine the purple or ā€˜granataā€™ shorts with the pink jersey in homage to the Torino football team, who play in a maroon-coloured jersey. Saturday marked the 75th anniversary of the Superga air disaster, when a plane carrying the legendary Torino team of the time crashed near the city, killing all 31 people onboard.

Pogačarā€™s combined pink and purple kit sparked debate on social media on Monday and Cyclingnews understands it also angered the UCI commissaires on the race. They called UAE Team Emirates on Monday evening and warned the team that Pogačar would be disqualified if he raced in the pink and purple skinsuit during Tuesdayā€™s stage to Andora.

Good Lordā€¦ like thereā€™s not enough pressure on him already. Letā€™s add to it with stupid crap like this.

People got upset when Julian Alaphilippe lost the yellow jersey in the Tour de France because he was issued a 10-second time penalty and he led the race by only 6 seconds (IIRC). But he objectively did something wrong that was decidedly against the rules (taking on water past the point where riders were no longer allowed to take on water).

Imagine the outcry if Pogacar was disqualified for wearing kit the race organizers provided him with to wear on the race?!?!

Finally up to date, after finding out that I can actually watch this year on Max.

Is Pogacar planning to do TDF as well? Very hard to recover in time.

Yes, heā€™s going for double. Vingegaard is almost ready to get back on back, expects 7 weeks of training for the TdF.

Itā€™s weird watching bike racing with Sean Kelly et al doing the commentary instead of Phil Liggett.

I believe heā€™s done commentary for the Giro (when Iā€™ve seen highlights) for some years. I like his accent ā€œheā€™s the turd roider on the courseā€

Holy crap that was a ride.

I miss Jens Voigtā€¦ yeah, partly due to the accent. But he was a good commentator. Hopefully heā€™s happy doing German TV.

Well youā€™re in luck. Jens is actually part of the giro team for Max. Heā€™s riding the motorbike and they check in with him every 20 minutes or so.

1 Like

Having a hard time getting into cycling again.

Was a big fan of Indurain back in the day (no idea if you guys are fans of him).

Kind of lost interest after the entire Armstrong debacle but trying to get back into it again.

That was crazy. If you watched Ganna he could barely stand up and had to sit down for several minutes until he could get up and walk again.

Tadej, on the other handā€¦

2 Aussies in the top 5!

1 Like

I was just looking at American grand tour winners. 4 men have won a total of 6 grand tours. (3 one-time winners and Greg Lemond has 3 Tours.)

And of course whatā€™s his name was stripped of 7 Tour de France wins, so those donā€™t count.