2023 US Government Shut Down

I can’t be arsed to listen to Freedom Caucus people, so I just learned they’re shutting the government down over border protection.

Where were they were Daddy Trump granted legal status and work permits to 200,000 “illegal immigrants” on his last day in office?

House fails to pass. Not all that close, with 230+ voting against. So that’s steeeeerike 3.

1 Like

It’s interesting how it failed. I think the Dems basically said - “no thanks to a 30% cut in spending and reneging on the deal you agreed to earlier this summer”, and the hard line republicans didn’t get everything they wanted and gave the middle finger to McCarthy siding with the Dems and torpedoing its chances.

Not Fat Bear Week!!!

1 Like

My sister planned a trip to some national parks for her birthday. She leaves tomorrow. That sucks for her.

1 Like

Does she vote for Republicans? This might flip her vote

1 Like

She does not

can someone explain how a government shutdown “costs” anything at all? Sure, National Parks aren’t open, so some people don’t get to visit. But they still have their entrance fees in their pockets if they didn’t go there, or they will give their dollars to the local art museum or whatever so the money still goes into the economy. I’m just an actuary, so maybe I’m not smart enough to understand “popular media economics”, but I don’t get why it matters.

There are a lot of federal employees who will lose out on incomes. E.g., House members keep getting paid during the shutdown, their staff has paychecks deferred until the end of the shutdown, but almost everyone else who works at the Capitol lose out completely on their paychecks during the shutdown. So the House Republicans are biting the hands that feed them.

1 Like

Quite a few people don’t get paid.

That will have snowball effects in areas that have a large % of Govt employees.

1 Like

…and the 45-day continuing resolution passes the Senate.

No shutdown…for now.

Come tomorrow, do we have a motion to vacate?

Wikipedia has this comment as regards the last government shutdown:

Yes, we would have paid those furloughed workers anyway had the government remained open…but we (in theory, at least) would have received the benefits of their labor for that pay.

Source: Government shutdowns in the United States - Wikipedia
More info on impacts: 2018–2019 United States federal government shutdown - Wikipedia

1 Like

Maybe the biggest cost of these shutdown negotiations is the distraction effect? That is, the politicians could be doing something more productive with their time like focusing on other, progressive legislation that actually benefits Americans? So much time seems to be spent on showboating and posturing.

1 Like

My impression is that it is essentially unscheduled, uncertain, delayed paid-time-off.

So, if you were an actuary at social security, you’d be sent home, without pay, for an uncertain amount of time. Then probably a month later, pulled back in and paid.

I dont know how you’d define that cost, but it’s not a good way to run a business.

The orher cost is the potential hit to credit rate. The US government basically the definition of risk free credit, but they throw that into question on shutdown days.

Bill passed, democrat possibly pulled a fire alarm so everyone had time to read it.

Alexa, remind me in 45 days.

Will this be like a perpetual 45-day groundhog-like process?

Because I can totally see this whole charade repeated again after 45 days.

1 Like