2023 NFL Football thread

While I wasn’t surprised to see ATL pass on taking an iOL as early as 8, I figured if they were considering it Skoronski would be the guy.

They did apparently give him a good look. The Athletic had this quote from Skoronski:
“The head coach was on me the second I got in there,” Skoronski says of Arthur Smith. “I was giving them generic answers to their questions, and he said, ‘You’re really boring me right now. Your answers are so boring.’ The whole meeting, he kept looking at his computer. I was kind of laughing to myself and said, ‘Sorry, I don’t know what you want me to do. I’m answering you honestly.’”

Not at all surprised coach did not care for someone giving “generic answers to their questions”. I imagine that resulted in a hard pass on draft day.

That kind of coach, eh?

Why would the NFL rob us of the joy of a Tyreek Hill return to Arrowhead?!?!

:redcard:

Happy Schedule Release Day, to all who celebrate!!!

:partying_face: :football::partying_face: :football: :partying_face: :football::partying_face: :football::partying_face:

2 Likes

Holy Shit, the NFL cares little for all the planning required for TNF games by team personnel:

Gonna try flexing Thursday night games!!
I’d hate to be the away team that gets flexed in.
I’d like to be a team that gets flexed out.

Also guessing that some stadiums will not be available now that the NFL schedule has been released, and stadiums have started to schedule Thursday night events.

Big Ben selfish? Nah.

Oh, I think there are some people that will never forget you, Ben.

1 Like

“Hey, our sport is dangerous. I mean, we know that’s why people watch, and the network and advertisers loves these types of fans, so, what to do?”

If they were serious about injuries they would also tweak the rules for punt returns; have a five yard buffer like the CFL to protect punt returners. Makes for more exciting punt returns as well.

According to Rich McKay, chairman of the NFL’s competition committee, most of that surge can be traced to an increase in returns caused by pop-up kicks.

Concussions are bad m’kay

What fan doesn’t know this yet: “friendly QB contracts → Super Bowls”?

1 Like
8 Likes

OK, this is NOT about 2023 football, but the Bears Organ-I-zation is already having kerfuffles with the local property taxing districts (Arlington Heights, perhaps Cook County) about what will be paid in property taxes while development is going on. Right now, the property is vacant, with existing buildings being demolished or scheduled to be demolished.

The taxing authorities want a 6 fold increase in the property tax now, while development is ongoing. And it seems like the Bears don’t want to be paying that until they have actually built something(s) that generate revenue.

So the Bears have called up Naperville, and are asking if they have any land for sale.

Ahhhhh, the joys of Illinois politics. So many people with their hands out, all wanting an undeserved share of the pie.

This will get worse before it gets better. I just wonder if this could be an Arlington Heights fumble (pun intended) that ultimately leads to the Bears extending their lease on Soldier Field.

Well, NFL politics, too. That’s their playbook. They know they’re wanted and have leverage to get handouts on top of handouts.

There’s a reason I don’t live there anymore! :slight_smile:

Another public steal, this time Jacksonville, and all that century-long tradition.

Two year renovation, they’d have to play elsewhere. UoF or Orlando. Also, Cocktail party would have to be played in home stadiums (or Atlanta/Tampa) for two years. That is, if they play each other anymore.

Deep down, I bet the owner hopes talks break down so they can play somewhere else, like London.

At this point, buying an NFL team is more like buying a fixer upper. Play the long game and flip the stadium then flip the team.

CAR going all SEA with their tiny QB, albeit not the 75+th draft pick, so eventually expected, just not possibly this soon.

Reich waffling even on this though.

And while the plan is to have Young ready to be the Week 1 starter at Atlanta, Reich isn’t ready to make that official until after he has seen Young perform in pads during training camp.

My take: yeah, he’s number one, for now, emphasis on the ‘for now.’"

Dalvin Cook wants to be valued. Um, you play RB in the NFL Football League. You won’t get shit, even if you do deserve it for when your boidy breaks down at age 50.

I was looking at this. Why is this still a thing?

He rushed for 1,173 yards last season – the fourth straight year he has rushed for more than 1,000 yards…

There are now 17 games in a season. That’s 69 yards per game. Big whoop.

1 Like

Well, a RB actually playing all the games in a season is certainly an anomaly these days.

Cook’s contract was over valued. Several advanced metrics had him being an ordinary back relative to any old replacement RB. He had low yards after contact, and low broken tackle totals.

Last year he had his worst yards/carry in his career, despite having the balance of a pretty good passing game to complement his running. I have heard reports that his footspeed is falling, too.

It seems like at 28, he will be past his prime. I am sure that in Minnesota there are fans that are sad to see him go, but the front office did not see him as worth his 14M contract.

He is still worthy of a roster spot and might still be a 1000 back, even for a couple more years, but his trend is downward.

Question is, is that still a thing? Meaning, worth something?
RBs have a rather short shelf life, with a few exceptions, of course. But he seems to be now an average back, seeking far-more-than-average pay (“valued”).