2023 NFL Football thread

So, your PSLs are an amortizing cost added to the ticket prices. one could calculate this added cost by assuming an interest rate and assuming all home games are on every other Sunday. Playoffs are adjustments calculated afterward as there is no guarantee of it occurring. Oh, you could assume every other year if necessary.
So, 30 years, that’s 240, plus, now, the extra one every other year. A $25000 PSL adds more than $100 more per game, depending on interest rate assumed.

Correct.

The team in fact will finance your PSL cost and roll it into your annual season ticket payment. Interest rate for this option wasn’t great so I didn’t consider it, but I think a lot of fans did.

No way I was interested in paying anything close to $25k/seat PSL cost. Paid a small fraction of that for seats in the lower corner.

The math process works. Just change the inputs.

Also, the team does not sell individual game tickets anymore so the option to just buy at the box doesn’t exist. You can of course buy them on the secondary market. In down years you could probably save $ buying many games on the secondary market. The premium matchups often sell for well above face every year, and in seasons where the team is doing well I believe they all will.

In recent years they have sometimes sold a 4 game pack that doesn’t require a PSL. It generally includes the games with lower demand, and I imagine these packs will disappear in years when the demand is higher.

ETA: playoff games sell for well above face value, but we haven’t seen much of that lately :frowning:

It’s a modest bump to the overall ticket cost/game at my current price point. If ticket prices escalate more towards the latter half of the term, it would be an even smaller hit. That’s difficult to forecast

It was a misrepresentation.
Buyers were either naive or at least so deep pocketed that they don’t care.
The PSL were effectively tied to the term the team actually plays at Soldier Field*, but that fact was was not ever mentioned in 2002 when the PSLs were sold. They were implied that they sold as permanent.

*Note: There is probably going to be a difference between the Bears’ lease at Soldier Field and the last time they play there. The lease ends in 2033 I believe, but it should not take 10 years to get around to building the new stadium in AH. That means the Bears will “buy out” of the last few years of the lease. So the PSLs were not permanent, and they will not even be 30 year PSLs. They may end up being 26 year licenses.

I think Seahawks Stadium only has CSL (Charter Seat Licenses) that only apply to a portion of the lower bowl and ring of honor level between the 10s.

Teams only picked up the 5th year option on 12 of the 1st round picks from 2020. That’s way lower than any other year under the current system.

Was that the COVID year or the last year before COVID?

Why would the Packers give Jordan love a 5th year extension instead of their contractual right to take the 5th year option on a 1st rounder?

It seems like they wasted at least a few million of cap space that they didn’t have to and they only got 1 year. And I did check, the 1 year extension is the 5th year, not a 6th year on top of the 5th year right.

Does it give them more opportunity to cut him loose after the 2023 season if he underwhelms? He has only 13M guaranteed for 2024. Would the real 5th year option have been fully guaranteed?

Paging Tommie Frasier…

To be clear, I think it was 12 players who had their 5th year option picked up or they got extended.

I asked bing/gpt. It sent me this article: Why Packers gave Jordan Love contract extension instead of fifth-year option (lombardiave.com)

Then, I asked chatgpt to summarize that article. It told me…

Draft was 1st during covid. But pkayers had a regular college season and pre-draft up until the week the world ended. But their intro to the team was certainly affected

Seahawks nailed the draft. I’m not a fan of top 10 CB (he’s instantly paid double of Tariq), but otherwise, great value at needed positions.

It’s been a few years since I was optimistic about the upcoming Falcons season. From 2018-20, the Falcons were trying to fit bandaids on an aging roster where they had minimal ability to add FA talent due to some big salaries. They pulled the bandaids off in 2021, and were in cap hell for the last 2 years with one of the worst rosters in the NFL as a result.

This is the first season where we will see what Arthur Smith can do with a complete roster. They’ve taken the path of going with a cheap quarterback and spending the budget on the cast around him. Ridder is still developing and may never be more than a middling QB, but think this offense will be a fun one to watch this season anyway. Not sure if the D will be good, but it should be a lot better than it has been in the last few seasons.

This is exactly it. The 5th year option would have been fully guaranteed.

2 Likes

Per Andrew Brandt, former Packers exec:

“Jordan Love was scheduled to earn $23M over two years if Packers DID option the 5th year (2024).
Love would have earned barely $2M if Packers DID NOT option the 5th year. In that case he would be FA in 2024.
Now, a 2-year deal w/$13.5M guaranteed.
Love protects his downside risk”

Not that you should have been optimistic last year, but ATL did surprise. They had many losses where they were on the verge of winning. 3 games involved game changing Drake London fumbles (including the LAC game with the crazy end game), Mariota vs. Was, Mariota fumble in the red zone, plus the TB game where they were denied a chance to win from the roughing the passer. ATL was actually so much better than expected with their scheme. Should be interesting this year.

Agree they overachieved in terms of wins relative to roster state. That’s a big part of my optimism.

And they could have been a 10-win team. Mariota was the guy who could take him there, but he had too many key bad plays to offset a lot of good play. The schedule wasn’t bad either last year. I think the success will be tied to Ridder (cap’n obvious).