2023 Exam 7 Progress Thread

Curious how difficult people felt their exam was…

It seems many people are taking their exams on Monday. Did you feel the exam was fair?

I had this exam today - takeaway is that 1,5 - 2 months is not enough of study time for 7. There was no „what is even that?” moment, so I’d say it was fair.

Everything on the exam was “topical” and in that sense I suppose it was fair. But I did feel like expecting candidates to complete all of those problems within four hours wasn’t realistic or fair. I’m curious if anyone completed every problem with time to spare for reviewing their work. I felt really prepared for the exam and I think I could have attempted every problem (except one question that I STILL don’t understand even after going back and reading the source text), but several of the problems seemed more complicated or time-consuming than the point value implied.

Why don’t they make exams that give candidates a fair shot at answering every question that they feel that they COULD answer? If you don’t know the content, you’re not going to get it right, no matter how much time you spend on a problem (and if you DO figure it out and get it right, then you deserve to pass), so why not just give everyone more time (or fewer questions)? Very frustrating!

1 Like

Is anyone allowed to say this yet? @Vorian_Atreides

Thanks for checking.

For those new to this site, we ask that you adhere to CAS’s requirements to not discuss Exam content–which includes discussions on total number of points, question point value, and anything related to points–until after the Exam Window closes.

As far as I can tell, the window for this Exam closed on 5/8; so I don’t see any problem with discussing the Exam overall.

IIRC, the CAS ask to not discuss details of any given problem. See this thread for additional details and examples.

2 Likes

How do you feel like you did on the exam?

• Aced it!
  • I think I passed
  • On the fence
  • I think I failed
  • I hope they let me keep my ACAS

0 voters

I think the pass mark has been almost 76% before and the average is around 73%:

I’m really surprised that there is a certain type of question not showing up on my exam. I wasn’t sure if Pearson Vue jumped over it or something, but I didn’t get to go back and check everything at the end.

I know it’s a bit vague since I’m not sure if we can talk about this. If not, I can delete this post.

Your post is fine. Since the Exam is over, you can give the general topic of the “type of question” you were surprised to not find.

Your post–as it is–would’ve been fine, IMO, during the Exam window; but even the general topic of the question should not be mentioned. Although, my suggestion for during the Exam window would be to limit your posts to describing your emotional state in relation to the experience. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I didn’t see any bloom’s taxonomy type of questions on my exam. I wonder if that’s the case for others as well.

2 Likes

Same and I am so thankful for that. When I see a 10 point question with parts a-z I start panicking

I guess passing mark maybe about 73%-76%

Why do you think it’ll be so high?
Not that we’ll ever know what it is.

%passing mark should be slightly higher than 2019 because CBT can help us to calculate triangle or changing formula from only 1 click.
Exam is fair and appropriate with 4 hours.

I don’t think we can use 2019 passing mark as a base anymore, it’s been four sittings since we last saw a passing mark. Things could have, and likely have, changed since then.

What is your opinion about passing mark ?

I probably will be on the wrong side of the fence if the pass mark is that high.

I don’t really have a feeling about what it’ll be. I’m trying not to focus too much on it since there’s nothing to be done about it. But 76% seems unrealistically high. Not based on the exam or anything, more so on what the CAS considers an MQC to be. I don’t think it’s fair to say that someone who knows 3/4 of the material is not minimally qualified.

1 Like

If it’s helpful, I recently put together a table of the pass mark data by year on our CAS Exam 7 Past Exams page along with some pretty graphs of historical pass rates. I know that sort of information isn’t too easy to find on the CAS site. Good luck everyone for when results are released!

3 Likes