:popcorn:
:snowflake: :mountain_snow:
:snowboarder: :skier:
:ice_skate: :sled:
:1st_place_medal: :2nd_place_medal: :3rd_place_medal:

1 Like

US women hockey beat Finland 5-2 in pre-opening ceremony match

2 Likes

I hear that some people can’t wait for the snowboard cross and ski cross events. I, otoh, am a fan of the biathlon. I can just see China not allowing foreigners to bring guns into the country and winning this event by default.

1 Like

Bobsled/bobsleigh is always fun to watch.

1 Like

I also like bobsledding, the snowboard/ski cross events, and also Ski Jumping!

1 Like

They should really rename luge and skeleton to sledding-on-your-back-feet-first & sledding-on-your-tummy-head-first (the track is a bit bumpy in places - we suggest you wear a cup).

1 Like

Ski jumping! That would be so cool to be able to do. I have such bad balance that I’d be the “agony of defeat” guy, no doubt.

1 Like

As a teenager I had a friend who was trying to make the Olympic Team in Skeleton. I myself would “practice” on a homemade skeleton sled. Not quite regulation. Street worthy instead of ice worthy. In fact, it was really just a long wooden board with some skateboard wheels bolted on the bottom, handles on the top, and the home phone number to call in case someone found my mangled body. But the thrill of going down hills on the street head first was totally worth it.

2 Likes

I think my favorite event is short-track speed skating. Especially team! So much action, so little room for error, so many huge wipeouts that snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

CBC is calling curling an existential sport…

Curling all the way! Mixed doubles is already underway but I’m really looking forward to seeing the US Men defend their gold medal.

3 Likes

Not sure I’ll watch any of it this time. I think I say this every Olympics, but I usually fail.
Wife will have it on in our main room. I might be forced to read a book while it’s on.
Need to check listings for a “Miracle on Ice” rewatch.

The Miracle on Ice this time would be from the Canadian men’s hockey team. Women’s hockey will be better hockey this Olympics (although I don’t watch it until the invariable US-Canada Final).

Oh, definitely! I especially love the “baton hand offs” where they push each other off. It’s like organized chaos.

1 Like

While it’s pretty exciting, the results are the same as a random coin flip, as someone invariably skates into some bad luck.

2 Likes

I think I’m going to join the Diplomats this season. I’m pretty much trying to avoid all things peacock for the next fortnight or so.

I’m a big fan of the mass-start speed skating. That’s some head to head racing. It’s not just a “time trial” type of race. It’s like snowboard cross or ski cross on ice.

I don’t think it’s an Olympic sport yet, but I have seen downhill skate racing, I think sponsored by Red Bull. Called “Ice Cross”.

2 Likes