2022 Winter Olympic Games

This has been a longtime event at the Quebec Winter Carnival. The 2022 edition of Carnaval de Quebec starts tomorrow if anyone wants to try this!

I remember during the SLC games seeing an interview some Australian TV personality had with the Australian gold medal winner of one of the speed skating events.

He said something like, “You have consistently been in the top 5 in the world and all you needed to finally win gold was for four guys to fall down, and they did.”

1 Like

There’s a short documentary about this dude (Steven Bradbury) on YouTube.

Does anyone else watch curling and think their strategy would be so much better than what the professionals actually do? Some teams seem to be playing so conservative it doesn’t make sense, and then other teams are launching stones like they’re bowling.

So, I have an antenna and a Roku. And I don’t get NBC. (too far away. I get every other major station.) I have the free version of Peacock, which doesn’t show anything I want to watch.

Last Olympics I got a VPN and pretended to be from Canada. That was buggy, but CBC has excellent coverage. I was thinking I might try to be legit this time. But I don’t want to spend a ton of money. Any advice for what to pick up? Is paid Peacock worth it?

My favorites are skiing. I used to ski, and I can identify with the skiers. When they whip back and forth, it makes my knees ache in sympathy, so I prefer downhill and giant slalom. But I’ll watch any skiing. I also enjoy both figure skating and the skating races.

Looks like peacock premium is supposed to have every event live streamed. For $5 a month that’s probably your best US deal.

Do you know if I can watch later, or if I need to watch in real time?

CBC had both. It also had excellent commentary – not a lot of sob stories about the athlete’s background, but enough to know that, for instance, these high jumpers were friends, or this skater was about to retire, or whatever. And really good technical commentary.

You can watch later

1 Like

I guess I should sign up for peacock, then.

I prefer the BBC of all the different options, but NBC last olympics wasn’t as bad as it had been. And the live-stream / on demand of events includes the full international feeds so you don’t necessarily have to watch the puff piece curated versions if you prefer not to. Made it worth it to me to not deal with the hassle of VPNing.

Yes, all the time. I’ve never missed a shot from my couch. However, the high level players have a completely different way of thinking about the game. They also probably play each other fairly frequently on the international circuit so they are playing the opposing skip just as much as using good strategy. It might not make sense to the viewers at home but it must to them.

Just stay with CBC🇨🇦? They will be grateful that you are watching their coverage. Only negative for you is that you will get less coverage of US athletes than from a US source.

I don’t know any of the athletes, and I’m perfectly happy to root for a Canadian. If I really thought the CBC wanted my custom, I would choose that – they are much better than NBC. But I feel like I’m cheating when I watch it.

My taxpayer dollars help fund the CBC and I say go for it! Always think it is good for residents of one country to view networks in other countries from time to time and CBC and BBC are good supplements to US networks.

In the “old days” of tv aerials, CBC used to have a pretty good US audience in border towns. They have lost that viewership but Canadians still get all the US networks on cable. We appreciate any US viewership of the CBC by any means possible!

Did folks know that the snow at this Winter Olympics is from snowmaking machines?

there is a lot of strategy when the other team is also very good. they try and set things up and it can be pretty subtle. now when someone messes up, that opens doors for other off script things. but if everyone executes “perfectly” it would likely end with 1 point for the team that throws last. but mistakes change that (as does differences in skill or performance).

I just heard this yesterday. I guess the downhill skiers are pretty happy about it. Manmade snow comes out pretty icy in my experience, and the racers actually prefer it that way.

I think a lot of 2018 Sochi snow was manmade as well.
They could have held the skiing in The Himalayas. Always some snow there.

Yeah, I prefer powdery snow from the sky myself. I can see though why professional downhillers would like icier conditions (within reason).

If i could pay for CBC on my Roku, at some rate comparable to Disney+ or peacock, I’d be happy to do that. They have other content I’d enjoy watching.