2022 NFL Football Thread

Cicotte - borderline, two great seasons at age 33 - obvious steroid user, never won a Cy Young
3 20 win seasons, not a big deal in that era

and yes - Eight Men Out, so seven others

I wonder what the Niners could get in trade?

I think at least a 3rd, a 2nd would be 50/50, and a 1st if the 49ers win on Sunday.

I think a fun comparison to Purdy is Justin Fields. Fields came in all hyped up as a savior. His stats have been mediocre at best, aside from running. He is an escape artist when a play breaks down and he can be off the the races. It was fun to watch, but I don’t think you can build a modern NFL team around that. You need a guy who can pass. But the Bears have poor receivers and a poor O-line.

I think Fields has the most upside compared to Purdy, but Purdy has succeeded in a limited number of games with very good talent around him, and Fields has failed with a lack of talent around him.

and that is so much of it

1 Like

Pretty much all of it. A QB has to do so much more to compensate, and not to get injured.

I was wondering more about how many more picks they could get from some stupider team (like, say, the Broncos, except they’ve been fooled once already).
Cheap QB (for several years), shown his abilities in pressure situation. Should be able to get more than they could for Garoppolo, but then, they’d be stuck with Garoppolo.

Eh, IIRC they were 28 & 29 win seasons IIRC, and he was benched his final 5 starts of the 29-win season - allegedly because he was entitled to a $10,000 bonus if he won 30 games and Comiskey didn’t want to pay it. (I think the contract provision is undisputed but Comiskey’s reason for benching him is an allegation. For reference, his annual salary was $6,000 so a $10,000 bonus was a very big deal.)

He was then banned from baseball so who knows what more he would have accomplished had his career not been cut short.

I think he’d be in the HOF if not for the scandal / ban, and Googling the subject finds a number of folks who agree with me. :woman_shrugging:

Also… steroids? In 1919? Was that a thing?

It was a joke. It was more likely marijuana use.

1 Like

He probably needed to win 300 to make the Hall so he would have needed to pitch for 4 to 6 more years with decent production. Not impossible, but not given. Had he retired after that year instead of being drummed out in disgrace he probably doesn’t get in with where his numbers were.

Edit - Steve Coveleski is his closes comp, played about the same time, and has very similar stats and is in the Hall so maybe without scandal he would have been in.

1 Like

Neither was the Cy Young Award

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure about that one. Cy Young was retired by then but I wasn’t sure when they created the award.

Anywho… WHO DEY!!!

:tiger2: :tiger: :football:

McCaffrey is something else.

I wanted the win, but this is snake bit for the 9ers. Some of it is that the Eagles’ DL is just too good, but 2 QBs down is really unlucky.

1 Like

Hope the AFC game is more competitive than this one.

It should be. The 49ers decision to block Hassan Reddick with a TE ended this game before it started it seems.

1 Like

FU…*K!

Can the 49ers have worse luck? Not 1 but 2 QBs injured in the NFC championship game. After having the most games missed by starters due to injury the prior year. This team is a SB quality team if they could just stay healthy.

I expect way more offensive in this AFC game. Cincy needs to wake this offense up.

And not even the starting TE. Shanahan got cute and it basically ended the game on their first drive.

But hats off to the Eagles, they played well on both sides of the ball and dominated the line on both sides of the ball running on SF like no other team did this year. Though it took them a lot of Carrie’s.

2 Likes

Bengals weapons are better, but I think their OL struggles with the Eagles pass rush. Honestly not sure who I think is a better matchup for the Eagles.

What a bone headed late hit.

1 Like