2022 NFL Football Thread

Brutal for 58 on Cincy. Devastating mistake.

Kelce v Kelce and Reid v Philly. Gonna be a fun two weeks.

1 Like

Yup, stupid way to lose.

1 Like

Yeah, he actually played a really good game but that penalty is one he’s going want back all off season.

I mean who knows what happens if he doesn’t commit the penalty, KC may still win but it would have been harder.

Yeah, 55 yarder is at the edge of his range. Maybe he hits, maybe he misses, but the 40 yarder is nearly automatic.

SF/PHI was simply an unenjoyable game. Well done by PHI in every phase. A special note that the announcing was terrible also. I watched with others so there was less fast forwarding.

I was the only person clamoring for a challenge by SF on the opening drive. Sure, I didn’t know for certain that Smith didn’t catch it cleanly in real time, but he sure acted like he didn’t and the 1 replay raised a question. That’s exactly the kind of play you challenge, as it is the difference from taking over on downs at the 35 vs. a likely PHI TD. Had PHI not rushed to the line, the replay assistant may have overturned it. Great play by PHI to snap the ball.

KC/Cin was compelling. The 2 early FGs by KC felt like a CIN victory. Where would KC be without Kelce. And nice comments from the podium with Jim Nantz!

That sucks.

The look on Jim Nantz’ face was “I sure hope the producer has their finger hovering over the dump button.”

With you, made the same comment to my wife

Silly play by 58 for Cincy but holy cow… Refs were on full display last night.

I appreciate Tony Romo and his perspective as a former QB, but the Mahomes love fest by he and Nance is getting real old, real quick.

4 Likes

yes, but no… Mahomes is no untraditional and creative, adding in the ankle - I get the love, it is rather remarkable to watch

For a straight drop back like Brady, it does get old fast. I will also add the QB love was distributed, there was a lot of commentary of Burrow’s accuracy as well

How is a “straight drop back” like Brady less deserving of unrelenting praise and admiration than a “untraditional and creative” QB like Mahomes? Not the best argument, in my opinion.

I really do hate complaining about refereeing, and the Bengals were pure Bungles again like always, but wow was that bad. The whole fiasco about stopping the play after the fact, I am still unsure about what really happened there. And then I’m fine with late hits, holds, DPIs being called, but it did not feel even on both sides. Burrow got smashed in the end zone a few plays earlier and they didn’t call anything. And there was maybe the most obvious hold of the night that allowed Mahomes to get over to that fateful sideline. Gross, I just hate how it feels. Would rather have lost in a blowout.

Man you have got to feel bad for Ossai though.

1 Like

There was a quick clip shown where one of the back judges was running out on the field to (try and) stop the play, but the crowd noise was so loud that no other official was able to hear that whistle. IJ think it was Romo that mentioned that once the ball was snapped, that official was more concerned about not getting ran over by a player.

And the reason the official was trying to stop the play was because the game clock was running when it shouldn’t have been. So that fault lies with the clock operator, not the field officials.

1 Like

The non challenge was a big mistake by SF. Given how the game unfolded afterwards it may not have mattered but yes that was bad.

1 Like

but the defense kept it close for a while. If 0-0 or 0-7 SF, it is such a different mindset,

Yeah and who knows maybe Purdy doesn’t get blown up with different field position and SF has a chance to throw the ball. But yes you take 7 points off the board (that came a few plays later), change momentum, a flip field position on the failed 4th down conversion.

I missed the 2nd quarter but outside of the Purdy injury play the biggest play was the fumble that set up Philly 3rd TD. 21-7 at the half is a big difference from 14-7 at the half.

I don’t understand why SF left Purdy in when it was clear he couldn’t throw. IMO there was no reason to leave him in just to hand off. Might as well run wildcat at that point so you don’t have a useless position on the field

1 Like

Yeah, the JJ fumble was awful. Not only was it a decent snap, but he compounded the issue by not making a fairly “easy” recovery. From that point, it felt like PHI would have to screw up or SF special teams would need to make a play, which they almost had on a blocked punt at 21-7. Instead there was a roughing call when the defender may have been pushed somewhat into the punter. But regardless, the SF player needed to take a chance there to flip the game.

And what was up with the “wire”?

1 Like

The wire ball was bizarre. It’s pretty clear it hit the wire but there was no video to confirm so too bad so sad for Philly. I assume that’s some camera wire?

1 Like

It is not close. McCaffrey, Kittle, Samuel and Aiyuk make a difference as does the D. Fields is a stud on a horrible team. Doesn’t lessen his talent.

Organizations make all the difference in the world and where they use the cap. The 49ers, Eagles and Bengals all invested in other areas while the QB is on rookie contract. The Seahawks did same thing with Russell Wilson. The Bears are squandering Fields spending $70M of cap space (about 33% of roster) this year on Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn, Roquan Smith, Nick Foles, Eddie Goldman, Andy Dalton and Jimmy Graham with $93M of total dead cap. They do have over $200M of cap space for next year. There is NO reason not to make the playoffs next year.

Bengals had less than $16M of dead cap and 49ers $24M. Eagles had a little more than $60M.

The Eagles and Niners have maybe one more season before they get stressed. The Eagles are going to face stiff competition from the Giants who have to sign their QB but have a ton of room. The Packers, Rams, Saints and Browns are screwed for next year. Cincy could extend Burrow this off season and still invest in defense.

2 Likes