2022 NFL Football Thread

Iirc Rose admitted betting on baseball, and even betting on his own team, but never for his team to lose.

2 Likes

Tony Dungy
Jason Garrett
Jim Harbaugh (oddly enough, NOT John)
Sean Payton
Mike Vrabel
Dan Campbell

Eric Bienemy is also on the ā€œshort listā€ to become one . . .

Didnā€™t Saturday go directly from Player to Head coach without any other coaching experience?

Did any of them pull that off?

1 Like

Must be his football-playing-addled brain not mentioning that part in the quote. (Sure, it could have been editors or the reporter.)

But, ā€œHey, Iā€™m not qualified, so this will be an adventure!ā€ seems not a prudent way to go.

I thought Saturday went straight from the booth to the sidelines with his only coaching experience being some high school gig he once had.

1 Like

Just from the 1985ā€™s Bears you had
St. Ditka
Leslie Frasier
Ron Rivera
Jeff Fisher

that was my point ā€“ I thought. It is what I believe he meant

You have better mind-reading abilities than do I. I simply read what was written.

Probably. Saturday seem a bit unqualified but he certainly isnā€™t the first ever head coach who played in the NFL, there are a ton of them and the googles tell me 8 NFL head coaches this year were once players in the NFL.

So he probably meant first player with no NFL or College coaching experience to be hired as NFL head coach.

So, wow, he broke a barrier, and had a worse record this season than the coach he replaced. Great job, or should I say, ā€œadventureā€!

A real trail blazer!

Meanwhile, the guy he replaced is now a head coach again! Chosen over that teamā€™s interim coach, who was, of course, too black, and had a better record last season than Reich.

And now, bulletin board fodder! cuz NoFunLeague players canā€™t take a little ribbing, or any ribbing at all.

Even Melissa Ethridge chimed in on this.

ā€œWe take everything very personally. And I canā€™t even say that - I canā€™t even say what theyā€™ve been saying. ā€¦ Yeah, go right ahead, you guys. Go right ahead. Thereā€™s nothing like firing up Arrowhead Stadium. Itā€™s just not.ā€

538, on the Eagles:

huh, seems to me that they properly drafted QBs and every other position. They are simply doing it ahead of other teams that are underdrafting QBs.

In fact, the Eaglesā€™ allocation of draft capital has been nearly identical to what ā€œthe analyticsā€ say about positional value. From the series of trades that landed the Eagles the No. 2 overall pick (ultimately used on Wentz); to the Hurts pick; to the nine selections that the team has spent on wide receivers;2 to the eight picks spent on edge rushers and the four shots taken on interior linemen3 to provide a stout inside push (allowing those edge rushers to flourish): Roseman has followed an evidence-based approach to team-building almost perfectly.

in terms of always having a QB prospect around, i wonder if a team with a track record of being great at developing QBs would allocate more of their practice squad to QBs.

With the PS having 16 guys now, a team could take 3 young guys and try and stash them longer to see if anyone is really worth keeping.

Will some get poached? yes. Will you have to plug in a LB straight off the street perhaps when an injury happens bc you left yourself thin there on the PS? yes. But you might get an extra 6 weeks of work developing young guys with traits to see if anyone improves a lot. and then you keep the one who shines. there has to be another brock purdy out there.

There are plenty of QBs and other players for that matter who could be good/great in the NFL. But there are only so many spots, and each team has different offensive/defensive philosophies that suit different strengths. Perfect information does not exist. There is not one book on how to develop a QB. Would Aaron Rodgers have been as good had he sat out only 1 year at GB? What if he was drafted by Houston and started immediately?

Brock Purdy is not without flaws. He is in a solid system, and has played great so far. He will have his struggles in the future (if he gets a gig somewhere).

i agree with all of that.

but there is one position on the roster with the most potential value. the practice squad has in the past been 5 and up to 10 players and teams managed. now it is 14. i am asking if a team with strong coaching for a QB would invest more of the spots to try and find a developmental diamond in the rough. you canā€™t win that lottery if you donā€™t play. even a backup QB on a rookie deal is worth the savings IMO

That sounds wise; you still have to deal with the starting QB getting offended from drafting a QB (even in the 3rd & later rounds).

Every starting QB in the NFL needs at least two backups. If a QB doesnā€™t understand that much then he has no business being in the NFL in the first place.

Yes, sometimes they will get pushed out in favor of their backup (see: Tony Romo / Dak Prescott, Tommy Maddox / Ben Roethlisberger, etc.)

But thatā€™s the reality of being a starter. You have a backup who is desperate to be as good as or better than you. In any position in any sport.

Twig, youā€™re right on. I have been espousing this idea for years. I call it the ā€œ100 QB Theoryā€

32 Teams, and each needs a 1st string, 2nd string, and a 3rd string. And a few are always nursing injuries, so if you can forgive the rounding, there are about 100 QB jobs in the NFL at any one time. How many of these are actually pretty good? In any 1 year, I think that number is about 10 to 12. There may be another dozen that are OK or passable. But that means there are always at least 6 to 8 teams without a decent QB.

Brock Purdy was the last pick in the draft, so he was just hoping to make the team and be in the QB range 75 to 100. But circumstances thrust him into the lineup, and he has outperformed his draft position. Iā€™m not saying he is top 10, but I think he is undeniably in the top half as of right now. He is in a good position with very good coaching, great talent around him, and a demonstrated ability to play and make plays within his skill set.

1 Like