2022 NFL Football Thread

Sounds like a graph problem!

1 Like

Sounds like a 130 or 135 problem…can’t remember which was which…not numerical analysis but the other one…I think it started with an E.

Edit: ah, yes, Æperations Research, or Operations Research for those who use the modern spelling

Hamilton Circuits for the win! Guaranteed in a complete digraph (tournament) but they don’t all play.

More like cyclic graphs.

If you have two disjoint cycles, then you’d have the “impossible” situation twig is wondering about.

But I think the way that team schedules are set up, I think the “parity” graph is a possibility each year.

If I understand what we’re talking about then this isn’t true. I thought we’re talking about A defeats B, B defeats C, C defeats D, D defeats A. (Except with 32 teams instead of 4.)

It’s trivial to show that it can’t be done in 2017, for example. The Browns had no wins at all.

But even if every team has both a win and a loss it could still be impossible. If Team A and Team B both defeat Team C and have no other wins then it wouldn’t be possible. And you can get into more complex cases where it wouldn’t be possible also.

Unless you mean at the beginning of the season it would be possible for a parity graph to come into existence… that might be true.

But at the end of the season based on actual game results then it would not be.

The answer is obvious
summer-school-c-ccc

Buffalo game reportedly moved to Detroit. No idea why the time on this release is from the future

ETA: they changed the time. It was 5 hours later. Maybe one of the employees sent it from Europe.

BOOOO!!!

Great Buffalo Blizzard of 2014 all over again for the Bills. Bills have a perfect record though when playing home games in Detroit.

More like time-stamped with GMT rather than a “local” time.

Why not start with the beginning? But yes, I was talking about at the beginning of the season

But the answer to the “beginning of the season”–which would include paths to demonstrate parity–will make working on this part far, far more tractable.

Ok, but the parity appears to be achieved after there are wins and losses.

The possibility of parity is what you are discussing, not the achievement of it.

Yes. First requirement is that every team has won a game and has lost a game.
Second requirement: at least one team from each conference has beaten a team from the other conference.
And I think there are more.

So, what are all (and, by extension, for logical purity, the least number) of the requirements to complete the circle?

Well you’d have to spell out a requirement that would mean this hadn’t happened:

It’s easier for me at the moment to come up with examples where it doesn’t work than requirements that would ensure it does, however.

If you were trying to put the ring together you’d want to start with the teams with only 1 win or only 1 loss as those will have only one possibility for the team they defeated / team that defeated them.

You’d want to list those and make sure that there are no duplicates.

But if A and B and C each have two wins… against D and E then again… not possible.

Or A only beat D, B only beat E, C only beat E and F…

You can get into a closed loop pretty fast. I’m not sure how to write a requirement preventing this.

I think a look at intraconference divisions

These are useful, to be sure; but they require knowledge of a complete season and don’t help in looking at an active season (or looking at the question of “what’s the minimum number of weeks to demonstrate parity?”). But I agree that if one is looking at a completed season to see if there was parity; the starting point should be the teams with the fewest wins and the fewest losses.

But I would take a more generalized approach and look for the (theoretical) bottlenecks of the possibilities where parity can be demonstrated as a season progresses.

For example, DTNF hits one with the interconference games: if all of the xFC teams beats the yFC teams, parity cannot be achieved. So you need at least one “win” for each side for the given games. Furthermore, at least two of these games are required for parity to be achieved; so I would call this the first bottleneck.

I believe that the intraconference divisions wins is another bottleneck to address–and it would be an extension of DTNF’s; but we’d be working with four such groups (rather than two); and the cycle can leverage the two (or more) interconference games to get a cyclic graph developed.

Under current scheduling, teams within a division are scheduled to play the teams of the other divisions that based on their standings within the division of the prior year. I think this provides the necessary conditions to establish parity. And intra-divisional games used to help facilitate completing a chain.

So as a season progresses, I think looking at inter-conference games to find “anchor points” to start the parity graph would be the starting point. I wonder if it’s possible that a parity graph could be constructed by just looking at these sorts of games . . .

Once you meet that requirement, then start adding in inter-divisional games to see if the graph can be extended (and completed). And if not, take a quick peek at intra-divisional games to see if that helps

Or even a partially completed season to see if it has occurred yet or as of Week X.

I don’t think you necessarily need that on a division level.

If every NFC East team beats every NFC South team, parity can still be achieved.

Agreed; but you’d need a path across the four groups (rather than the much simpler two). So focus on the four already made paths across them (and “supplement” an intra-divisional game to jump between these paths and the interconference games needed to complete parity).