2022 MLB Baseball Thread

I heard when it happened. 1st time 2 in one game right? Didn’t realise it was same 3 batters. I’m sure all that is mentioned in your article but paywalled.

Soto reportedly turned down a 15 year, $440M offer from the Nats. Reportedly the deal was very heavily backloaded, diminishing it’s value. He’s allegedly on the trade block now. I’m interested in what sort of kings ransom he commands. Potential buyers would have to offer a boatload of prospects and have the financial means for a really high annual salary once he clears his arbitration years.

:popcorn:

“Siri, give me a(nother) reason why we should just get rid of the All-Star Game for good.”

1 Like

Wondering why it’s important for either team to win this. They still giving out $1MM to the winners?

Why wouldn’t they just put the stupid runner on 2nd and play it out? Or make it mandatory that the manager would be the runner on 2nd base.

It would be more interesting if they came up with a bunch of bizarre and/or childhood rules for each inning, and spin a wheel that would apply.

This inning, no pitchers - you throw the ball up in the air and hit it; defense gets only 6 fielders who get placed at the beginning of the inning and can’t move elsewhere because of who’s at bat
This inning, each team only gets 4 batters - defense players pitcher’s hand, offense uses ghost runners when needed
This inning, all pitches are eephus pitches; you get 3 pitches max, foul one off and you’re out - if no pitch is hittable, the offense gets a runner on the farthest available free base, if all bases are full then it’s 4 runs
This inning, the bases are always loaded
This inning, the defense pitches who comes to bat

No umpires. Players call balls and strikes and make calls on baserunners. Coin tosses decide when they don’t agree.

Rules don’t make sense? Hell, the ASG hasn’t made sense for years. Players don’t care, it still exists because of tradition, … might as well make more of a farce of it and have some fun.

Savanah Banana rules for extra innings!

2 Likes

I think it has to do with not wanting pitchers to pitch too many innings. Teams already don’t want their pitchers pitching too much in the all star game so they are ready to go once its over with and if you time it so all pitchers pitch in the 9 innings and it goes extra they may not have anyone left to pitch except the guy that pitched the 9th

OMG HE’S THROWN 11 PITCHES, GET HIM OUT NOW!

(threw 197 warmup pitches before that)

With 13 pitchers on each roster, there should be no problem. Growing up, there were only 10 pitchers on each all-star game roster and there was always 1 or 2 who did not get to pitch. The problem is the “let everyone play” mentality even with expanded rosters. It’s baseball. No one gets hurt in an all-star game (except Ray Fosse).

I was gonna say it’s exactly the opposite, but I think that’s because I was watching the allstar game before interleague play and free agency and remember if fondly from that. It used to be a showcase because there were only two times a year you got to see players from the two leagues in the same stadium. So that’s the problem now. I have access to all games (except the ones I want to see) on my phone. I can literally see every player on every team every day (except the ones I want to see). So it is no longer meaningful as a showcase. But I still don’t gaf who wins. So, yeah, the game is pretty pointless now imo.

I haven’t been watching the All-Star activities but this article caught my eye. Maybe The Athletic author had bet on the outcome.

“Juan Soto beat Julio Rodriguez to win the 2022 Home Run Derby on Monday night, but that was not the story of the night. The story: possible corruption of the highest order.

Albert Pujols, in the competition more as a lifetime achievement award rather than for his dinger prowess in 2022, “beat” Phillies slugger Kyle Schwarber — he of 29 homers already this year — in the first round of the derby. We are officially skeptical.

Pujols clearly had his moment, though. Nearly every player present feted the legend, who looked like a proud dad as all his homer-hitting children hugged him. It was nice, but … people bet on this! It felt more like a well-executed WWE set piece than an actual baseball competition. But I digress. Maybe my heart has turned cold.”

Sounds like someone lost money betting on Schwarber lol

1 Like

That was my take as well.

Stanton crushed that ball so hard it appears to be made of rubber

i LOVE the high speed photos of hitting. where you see that or the bat bending. so cool.

stanton just murders the ball when he hits it. so damn strong.

If you only include the time spent doing baseball stuff, then sure, maybe MiLB baseball players make a “living wage.”

Sorta like truckers getting paid that high hourly wage, but only while they’re actually driving. Doesn’t include all the waiting for the truck to be loaded or unloaded, but that the trucker cannot do anything else in the meantime.

Yeah, I don’t know where in the US you could live for $5K. That’s ridiculous.

But that said, the wow-they-even-need-to-get-a-job-in-the-off-season argument really annoys me. There’s no reason why a player shouldn’t have to work a job in the off-season.

Lots of talk in the local paper about Angels thinking about dealing Ohtani.
I think they should try to dump Trout.

Inspired to post by this 538:

Jays set a team record for runs in a game in 28-5 win over Red Sox. This play was typical of the Sox night:

1 Like