2022 MLB Baseball Thread

That inside the park GS was comedy goald

1 Like

Did he never see it even after it landed? Him just standing there and not going after the ball looked pretty strange.

1 Like

The only thing I can guess at is he thought it went over the wall for HR and bounced back because he clear saw it n warning track but slowly started walking to it nstead of sprinting like LF did.

1 Like

Very bizarre play but I enjoyed it.

A good actuarial friend of mine, who is an ardent Boston Red Sox fan, reminded me that the Jays have had only two inside-the-park grand slams in their history. Both occurred in Fenway Park. He knew that as he was at the first game where it happened.

In the story I saw, he said that the left fielder was already a lot closer to the ball than him, but if he had to do it again, he would have taken a few steps towards the ball/wall anyway.

Trade activity sure picked up at the deadline
Castillo to Mariners
Montas & Trivino to Yankees
Hader to San Diego (did not see that one coming)
Vazquez to Houston
Mancini to Houston
Siri to Rays
Effross to Yankees
Pham to some team not yet disclosed

Will Rodon or Soto nbe moved?
Will there be another surprise deal?

Padres get Soto & Bell

There must be some prime prospects in here, if this was the best offer

The San Diego Padres have agreed to a deal to acquire superstar outfielder Juan Soto and first baseman Josh Bell from the Washington Nationals, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

In return, the Nationals are getting a package from the Nationals that includes left-handed pitcher MacKenzie Gore, outfielder Robert Hassell III, shortstop C.J. Abrams, outfielder James Wood, right-handed pitcher Jarlin Susana and another major league player.

It’s a really good prospect haul for the Nats considering they decided they had to move Soto, it’s unlikely they ever would have been able to extract a bigger haul. That said, prospects don’t always work out. Best case they got a frontline starter in Gore, solid pitcher in the other guy, an all star in Wood and solid mlb contributions from the other 2. Worst case Wood doesn’t developed, Gore’s arm issues are worse than believe and the other 3 guys are just fringe MLB players.

Lol Hosmer temporarily torpedoes deal with NTC, deal still being done but parts may change a bit.

seems like a one sided deal

The fact that he turned down 15/$440, would make me nervous to give up too much

gut feel - he wants a payoff

You get him for 2.5 years and flags fly forever. Of which the Padres currently have zero.

1 Like

But Prellet is pretty much betting his job this brings in a chip this year or next.

and Tatis should be back soon

A flurry of additional deals headlined by the Soto/Bell deal to the Pads.

Some include
Gallo to Dodgers
Mahle to Twins
Robertson to Phillies
Marsh to Phillies
Ruf to Mets with JD Davis to Giants
Hosmer to Red Sox
Pham to Red Sox (they were yesterday’s unnamed team)
Qintana to Cards

About 2 hours left for other names to change jerseys…

Nats got a decent haul for dealing Soto, but it’s a bit mind blowing to lose Soto, Harper, Rendon, Scherzer, and Trea Turner over a few years and look at what’s left in the cupboard

On the bright side they still have Stasburg and Corbin, that’s a solid start to the rotation!

Bizarrely, the Jays’ biggest acquisition was a mediocre anti-vaxxer. I like Cathal Kelly’s take on it:

“While other contending teams were throwing themselves into the spirit of Tuesday’s trade deadline, what were the Toronto Blue Jays doing? Dealing for a guy who wasn’t allowed into the country a couple of weeks ago.

Whit Merrifield, baseball generalist and amateur virologist, was the one guy on the Kansas City Royals who tried mounting a defence of his anti-vaxx stance. It went over about as well as you’d expect.

When the inevitable apology rolled around, it got even worse. Already on the record that he doesn’t believe vaccines work, Merrifield said he might get vaccinated anyway if he was on a winner. Oh boy, they loved that one in Missouri.

As of 6 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Merrifield is a member of the Toronto Blue Jays. So I guess we’ll see exactly how conscientious his objections are.”

Wonder what the Jays gave up, maybe they just wanted to F with the guy.

I assume if he doesn’t report, they don’t have to pay him