2022 MLB Baseball Thread

Jays had also been interested in Freeman. They have however signed Chapman who adds great defence and home run power. Along with some pitching acquisitions, the Jays should be solid contenders again in the competitive AL East.

Buster Olney’s article basically confirmed this. Freddie apparently wanted to be back, but his agency was playing hard ball and missed.

Definitely a case of an agent getting what he wants over his client.

Like Story batting in front of Devers

The Blue Jays and Rays have experimented with this electronic system but are other teams trying it? I am a baseball traditionalist so happy to stick with the old system of catchers flashing finger signs with all the attendant shortcomings.

Couldn’t this make sign stealing easier? Just get a receiver like fits into the cap of the pitcher and middle infielders and put it in your batting helmet.

Jays to play first home opener in Toronto in three years. Berrios gets the honour of the start.

“Permanent DH” in the former national league?
Guess I’ll get a lot of work done around the house this summer by not watching the sport formerly know as “base ball.”
The “Free Parking in Monopoly” of Sport.

I sure am going to miss the roughly 4,800 PAs from pitchers that resulted in a .110/.150/.142 stat line and 17 HRs.

Who the fuck cares about that?
Oh yeah, aging batters who can no longer field.

Are you longing for the days when NFL players played both ways too?

I wasn’t alive during those times, so I cannot long for what I never saw.

Should have brought up whites-only baseball. That would be more apt.

the NBA is unwatchable! everyone travels and bombs 3’s! and their music is too damn loud!!

1 Like

MLB did adopt the HS rule where a P can also serve as the DH. You can remove the pitcher from the game and leave the DH in. So
Ohtani can keep hitting HRs!

So you enjoy watching pitchers attempt to hit and occasionally getting lucky. I’d prefer a guy who actually hits for a living trying to hit. Different strokes I guess.

Three out of four of these are true AND make the game unworthy of my eyeballs.
(I do like the bombing of three’s.)

And Hockey is unwatchable without the fights.

I (used to) enjoy watching guys playing the game of baseball. Some of those “players” sit out what they can no longer do, and someone plays for them, due to their inability to play the game of baseball.
You watch what you want, though. It’s just not “baseball,” though.

Fans who need the fights are not hockey fans. Never were, never will be. Fights stop the game of hockey, make them longer than necessary, and serve no purpose except to cause brain damage.
Anyone who believes your (sarcastic, I think) assertion is pro-other-people’s-brain-damage-for-my-entertainment.

Interesting study on this, from 538 a few years ago:

What If The National League Had A DH? | FiveThirtyEight.

Final lines:

And perhaps that shows what the debate over the DH is really about: the culture of baseball. While the underlying evidence shows that the leagues are increasingly the same, the identities of them aren’t. Change the DH and a style of baseball would be gone forever. Even if the game itself might barely change.