2022 MLB Baseball Thread

Passan is reporting that a tentative deal has been reached between the owners and MLBPA. Let’s play ball!

Per Jon Heyman:

Union executive board vote was 8-0 against the MLB proposal but teams voted 26-4 in favor of it, carrying the day, Unusual that the general player population goes so far against player leadership.

I haven’t looked much but what are the restrictions they are putting on the shift?

I haven’t seen a specific rule change suggested yet.

Here’s a fangraphs article on possible effects of the change. Seems a bit marginal, with perhaps a modest benefit for some left hand batters

As part of the agreement, the league has gained the power to implement rule changes for the 2023 season, including a pitch clock; restrictions on defensive positioning; and the installation of larger bases for health and safety purposes. Two on-field rules from the last two seasons, seven-inning doubleheaders and a runner on second base to begin extra innings, are not part of this new deal.https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-lockout-ends-as-mlbpa-owners-reach-cba-agreement-five-takeaways-with-baseball-set-to-return/live/

Reading that I seem to think no rule change on shift this season, but expect it next year.

Yeah, the rule changes don’t start until 2023 at the earliest anyway.

I did find an article that explained it, at least what was tested in AA ball. First half of season they required all infielders to be no further out than the dirt part of the infield. So they could still shift, they just couldn’t put the 2nd baseman in short right field.

The second half of the season they required that there be 2 infielders on either side of 2nd base and that they be no further out than the dirt.

Overall, it didn’t seem to have as much of a difference as they were expecting.

Here is the article I found:

How about some REAL doubleheaders!
Can I bring in a 5th infielder with the go ahead run on 3rd?
Am I allowed to shift my outfielders?

Actually they are doing away with the 7 inning doubleheaders. I’m not sure anyone brings outfielders in and there was no restriction on outfielders. The shift limitations it seems they were attempting to stop was playing 4 outfielders and/or 3 infielders on the same side.

And I believe because of starting late and still scheduling 162 games they are going to have more doubleheaders this year.

More scheduled, but COVID. created quite a few

Sorry, when I said more, I meant that they will be scheduling more than there would have been if they had started on 4/1 like they intended to (or whenever opening day was supposed to be).

1 Like

I believe there was both an extension of the regular season by 3 days and the addition of several “extra” double headers in season to accommodate the 162 game season.

By REAL doubleheaders, I meant let’s get rid of this “day-night” BS. Those are not doubleheaders.

if by “real” you mean “single admission” then…think that through to the obvious conclusion.

i went to one in 1985 or 1986. that was the last I can remember.

I hear you. At least TV revenue would be unchanged. They were rare even when they were “allowed”.

Atlanta trades prospects for Matt Olson, which almost certainly means the end of the Freddie Freeman era in Atlanta. He was the cornerstone of the franchise for a lot of years. I’m happy he finally got his title after suffering through some mediocre seasons. I thought ATL might make him a Brave for life, but with the Dodgers and Yankees in a bidding war I can see why ATL may have thought the price+years were too high. Will be interesting to see what he gets. I suspected all along that he would land in LA.

The Braves gave Olson a big extension, so he’s now expected to be one of the long term cornerstones of the club along with Acuña and Albies

Dodgers get Freeman

Seemed like Freeman’s agent may have overplayed his hand. Given the reported deal size, I would have guessed he could have made it work in Atlanta. Seemed like the agent was trying to leverage ATL, NYY, and LAD against each other. Once ATL and NYY moved on, leverage was lost.

Bryant to Rockies

I agree. 6yr/$162 million for Freeman. I think the Braves would have gone up to 5yr/$150 million, which means they would have gone the 6th year for the additional money. But LA would have kept increasing their offer to something ATL would not match. ATL played it right, but it is unfortunate for both parties.