2022 College Football Discussion

Oregon was not competitive yesterday.

And 2 Big 10 teams (one ranked) barely hung on against the teams who aspire to be NDSU.

Updated;

1. Undefeated SEC Champion
  2. Undefeated Big10 Champion
  3. Undefeated ACC Champion
  4. Undefeated Big 12 Champion
  5. Undefeated BYU (or any independent)
  6. Undefeated Pac12 Champion
  7. Once-Beaten SEC Champion
  8. Once-Beaten Big10 Champion
  9. Once-Beaten ACC Champion
  10. Once-Beaten Big 12 Champion
  11. Once-Beaten ND
  12. Once-Beaten Pac12 Champion
    [/quote]

Unfortunately, I don’t think an undefeated BYU (or any independent) ranks that high. And with Alabama and Georgia where they are a once-beaten SEC non-Champion probably should be sitting at #4 right now. (I know you are trying to be school independent, but I bet if there are 2 undefeated teams in the SEC championship game, chances are very high that both of them go to the playoffs.

And really? Florida jumps to #12 in the AP from unranked? I might have been biased, but I thought Utah was a bit overrated. I probably wouldn’t have put them any higher than 15 preseason.

They’ll play Georgia in a couple of weeks. Higher-ranked UF means higher ratings.

Also, things change, even this real-life ranking system. I think it would be difficult for the CFP committee to ignore any undefeated team, unless very easy schedule and the once-beaten SEC team had been bulldozing its top opponents.

Interesting analysis of where the Big Ten should expand next.

More so, Big Ten should try to dump some schools. In the middle of the article there is a table of current Big Ten schools and this analyst’s Ratings. Lots of prospective schools are better than the lower-ranked current ones.

A relegation/promotion system perhaps?

If they get to 20 teams, they could make it the Big10 and the Little10 (or something less emasculating).

1 Like

That is discussed as well, when they get up to 24 teams.
Then again, the whole of College Football should be pro/rel. Certainly enough teams for 14 levels or so.

1 Like

Big 10 Legends and Big 10 Leaders?

2 Likes

Image-1

Nebraska loses to Ga southern. Ugh. They are not good

Sun Belt East seems to be pretty strong - App State, Marshall and GA Southern all had good wins.

What a shitshow. Trev should have canned Frost after last year, but the the admin/regents/boosters wouldn’t let him. Now we get a wasted season.

I mean this is what happens when you keep around a coach with a .333 winning percentage for a 5th year and the AD says after keeping him “this probably isn’t going to work”. Every game this year was going to be a referendum of Frost. It was unhealthy for him, the players, the staff, the media, and the fans.

My hope is that a weight is lifted of everyone’s shoulders, and with Mickey breathing new life both the players and staff can play loose and free.

I was so rooting for Texas.

And with ND’s loss so goes BYU’s decent chance at the playoff. Possibly still get a NY6 bowl if they go undefeated but squeaking by Baylor in 2OTs and Oregon having been blown out by tOSU doesn’t help that much even if we beat them next week. And I’m not all that certain they can go undefeated anyway.

Uh, UGA.
Yeah, bad time to schedule these so-called top teams. Depending on Baylor, maybe they’ll win the Big 12, so BYU can lay claim to the Big12.
Arkansas might not be an easy game.

Sorry, UGA.

I was watching one of the games Saturday, might have been UT-Pitt and they were talking about top teams losing early in the season and it reminded me of 1983 when BYU beat a #3 ranked Pitt the first week and it bumped BYU way up the top 20 (only ranked 20 at the time) and BYU refused to lose the rest of the season while every other team did and BYU went on to be crowned the mCFNC. Pitt went on to have a rather poor year but no one knew they would be that bad coming off the prior year.

Tells me that there shouldn’t be rankings so early when no one knows anything this early in the season, for 20-plus seasons.

This may have already been said, but at least we can put to bed early the “Notre Dame is a National Champ candidate” storyline this year.

What people need to remember is that beating a highly ranked team does not mean you are a good team. But a highly ranked team losing to an unranked or quite low ranked team means the losing team isn’t that good and should drop significantly, as ND and A&M did.

Huskies looking good tonight.
Hopefully not jinxing them at half.