2022 CAS Elections

I guess the delay was that Hines tried to get the CAS office to give him 4 votes. Mazel Tov to the winners!

2 Likes

Considering only the non-endorsed candidates won, it seems like the vote was more of a referendum on the WLTC and their approach (or non-approach?) than anything.

Now that the results are out, I find myself with mixed feelings. It is reassuring that the majority of members do not agree with the WLTC, but at the same time, the fact that their candidates did receive a lot of votes means that a good chunk of the membership are super dissatisfied with the CAS. It probably isnā€™t healthy long-term if a substantial minority of its members are disgruntled. The published comments from the candidates who ended up winning do make me feel better, since it seems like they are not blind to some of the issues facing the CAS.

Good insight, but interesting that Belden barely edged out Hines so something else was at play here.

GAIIINNNNZZZ!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNZZZ!!!

I donā€™t think you can read nearly that much into the results. There are always people who vote for the name they recognize, for a friend, etc. A lot of actuaries Iā€™ve spoken with at work werenā€™t even aware of the existence of ā€œWe love the CASā€. Many peopleā€™s email just filed it as spam.

I think itā€™s really remarkable that David Skurnick, a man we have all heard of, because he wrote a pretty good paper on the syllabus, fared so poorly in the election. I believe thatā€™s because a lot of voters WERE aware of the current politics.

1 Like

Well tbf, I have never heard of him prior to his statement, and I suspect a lot of newer fellows havenā€™t either, as his paper(s) are no longer on the syllabus.

Iā€™d also never heard of him and most likely did take an exam when his paper was on the syllabus.

Yep. Skurnick and Gleba were two names I recognized before the election and the whole WLTCAS stuff happened. Note I am no longer a member.

Skurnick sounds vaguely familiar from the exams. Though there are a lot of names from the exams lol.

No longer a member of the CAS?

Right. I retired and dropped membership

2 Likes

Enjoy your retirement

1 Like

He wrote the California Table L paper, and I had met him in person a little more than 20 years ago when we worked at the same company. Politics definitely were an issue, especially since he made his anti-DEI message so front and center - much more than the others. Plus there may be an age bias in there - he got his FCAS 50 years ago.

1 Like

Congratulations!

CAS membership is free for retirees.