2022-23 NBA Basketball Thread

Not sure who watched tonight but Kings D looked pretty good. Overall, Kings had FAR more open looks, crashed boards and held Ws to under 110. Kings still may not win the series but through 2 games, they look like the better team and the Ws do not look like a champion contender.

Both teams were playing really sloppy, especially in that 1st quarter. So many turnovers. Kings D seemed to rattle the warriors outside shooting. Really only a couple of stretches where they played like the defending champs. Weā€™ll see if they can pull it together for their home games.

sac looked like the better team last night for sure. At least the 2nd half that I watched.

Very good tactical move by Sabonis to grab the opponentā€™s leg just as heā€™s lifting it up to make sure he steps on you.

2 Likes

Green is a hothead, Sabonis pulled the equivalent of the LeBron teabag and figured correctly Dreymond would do something stupid in retaliation which he did. Green rightly got tossed, I wonder if heā€™s getting a suspension for it too? probably not.

1 Like

Sabonis flopped for the foul and pulled the leg, and as yt notes, baiting Green is definitely part of a game plan for any team.

In the other game, while they are still down, I have to give the Nets credit. They traded Durant and Irving and then shut down Simmons. They could have dropped completely out of sight, but held on to stay out of the play-in and have played a couple decent games. I expect them to win next one which would be more wins than Kyrie and Durant got last year. Anybody looking what happens when Kyrie leaves or shows up (Boston, Brooklyn, Dallas) should think long and hard about that next contract.

And he didnā€™t even get the foul he flopped for. I dislike Green so I was glad he got tossed, though he did deserve it because he didnā€™t have to stomp down like he did. I thought the result of the play was the correct result. I hope both of them get fined though.

Sabonis got a Technical, Green got a flagrant 2.

Green suspended for G3

Interesting read about NBA Refs at 538:

How can you not enjoy watching Steph chuck something from 29ā€™ and know itā€™s going in and it does? No hesitation. Always makes me shake my head and smile.

ā€¦.and then dribble all over the court thinking heā€™s going to back into a 3 and drives the lane finishing w a big floating scoop with the foul.

NBA players would probably be able to play more games if they only played 30 seconds at a time?

Comment from a reddit thread:

Because hockey players are sickos who grew up waking up at 5am to go freeze their asses off in a rink. Any desire to load manage or sit out games is self selected out from the very beginning so its not part of that sports culture.

If every NBA game were like the All Star Game with constant fast breaks then players would need to take more breaks in the course of a game. Aside from having just 1 intermission instead of 2, they get several more time outs, especially at the end, and non-OT games are 12 minutes shorter.

Also, NBA players are focused far more on per-game stats. Taking a game off doesnā€™t affect those stats, but playing only 10 minutes does. Iā€™d like to see Popovich start putting in his starting stars on the second of a back-to-back for five minutes then sit the rest, to avoid the Silver Fine. I think the players would revolt, though.

Clearly the only logical explanation is that Hockey is not a very demanding physical sport.

1 Like

They could count games by the number of quarters you played in. If you sat out an entire quarter you played 0.75 games. If you just played junk minutes at the end of a game, you played 0.25 games. That way, at least the fans could see the top players play for one quarter before they tanked the rest of the game.

They could. And Iā€™m sure the analytics are in minutes. But official stats are per game. The scoring champion is per game. So, they donā€™t.