2021 NFL Football Thread

Another NFL record was extended this weekend. Only one WR in NFL history has over 1000 career yards receiving and has never scored a TD.

Jacobi Meyers now on 1264 career yards, 0 TD

Another record of sorts equaled, and of course there are butts hurt: Ravens rushed on the last play of the game to get 100 yards for the 43rd consecutive game.

"I thought it was kind of bulls—. I expected it from them,’’ Fangio said. "Thirty-seven years of pro ball I’ve never seen anything like that … but it was to be expected, and we expected it.’’

Asked why the Broncos "expected it,’’ Fangio added: “Because I just know how they operate, that’s just their mode of operations there; player safety is secondary.

So, when you’re ahead, you are supposed to be concerned about player safety.

But, when you’re behind by 16 points with 10 seconds left, you pass the ball into the end zone, and endanger players’ safety. You know what would bother the Ravens? Kneeling, taking your loss but preventing them from tying a record. Get your wins however you can, bro.

Harbaugh said the Ravens had already decided they were going to try to extend the streak if they got the ball back, but Baltimore didn’t think it would happen.

Harbaugh also said the reason why the Ravens had the opportunity to run the ball was because Broncos quarterback Drew Lock threw a ball in the end zone that was intercepted by Baltimore cornerback Anthony Averett.

“You’re throwing the ball in the end zone with 10 seconds left, I don’t know if there’s a 16-point touchdown that’s going to be possible right there,” Harbaugh said. “So that didn’t have anything to do with winning the game. What’s meaningful to us might not be meaningful to them. We’re not going to concern ourselves with that.”

"I wasn’t really offended by it; it just kind of seemed like, obviously, the statistical things are important to them,’’ said tight end Noah Fant. "If it was me, I’m getting a win and getting out of there. To each his own. … We still lost, that’s all that matters to me; that’s all that matters to us.’’

So, yeah, it mattered enough to say several words about it.

2 Likes

a meaningless streak, but not really a concern to me that ravens went for 5 yards. broncos didn’t have to defend it, right?

I guess they either had to try to stop Jackson, or just let him have the yards 'cause player safety?

I mean, if the game is that dangerous, it probably shouldn’t be played anymore, except that people like watching it.

Fangio seems upset about the unwritten rules I guess. No running of plays that don’t matter. He could have chosen to not defend or defend. But he is complicit in not caring about player safety (as he complained) bc he the defense wasn’t going to get the 16 point turnover as time expired.

It’s more likely his feelings are hurt and he thinks there were other dirty plays in the game.

Yeah, he noted that, too (two , but should have kept the focus on that, and not the ticky-tack shit.

Fangio added he believed that hits on wide receiver Diontae Spencer (chest) and quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (concussion) – in back-to-back plays in the second quarter – should have been penalties, though they were not flagged. Neither player returned to the game.

Meanwhile, glass houses and stones and the throwing therein:

Asked whether Jackson is treated differently because he’s a running quarterback, Harbaugh said on Monday: “All the quarterbacks should be treated the same. I don’t think any quarterback should be judged any differently in terms of how they’re protected. That’s for sure.”

The hit that has drawn the most attention came after Jackson completed a 49-yard touchdown pass to Marquise Brown in the second quarter. Broncos defensive tackle Mike Purcell hit Jackson in his lower back, knocking the quarterback off his feet. Jackson raised his arms toward the official when no flag was thrown.

Exactly. Basically he sounds whiny. Pro football has no need to protect feelings of the losing team

Cue “[Insert college football power that’s currently down or really seeking that next national title, where Urban has yet to coach] is checking into Meyer’s availability for 2022” talk.

Adding also that the young ladies in the town are happy not to dance up on him, in public. Strictly on the down-low.

Next time you turn on the NY Giants game take a look at the score ticker and notice that the “ny” is giant, and doesn’t fit into the team ticker. This might only happen on Fox/ESPN/whathaveyou.

If I’m a Chiefs fan, I look at that 2-3 start and the rest of the schedule and think 10-7 is as optimistic as I can be. That is probably enough to get into the playoffs, but 9-8 won’t be and that defense has issues that suggest 10 wins isn’t happening.

KC has superior coaching and QB, so I still think they wind up with 11-12 wins. Yes, they were exposed by the Bills, but there are not any other AFC teams like the Bills.

no chance at the bye in the playoffs though, right? Have to win 3 more than the bills the rest of the way. Bills play jets twice and I think will win at least 8 of their last 12. The chiefs D is not going to allow them to win 11 of the last 12. If the bills go 9-3 the rest of the way, KC would have to be perfect. yikes.

Giants are horrible. But Daniel Jones vs Sam Darnold is still an interesting question…

I’ve never seen the Packers try so hard to lose a game and still win. Poor Crosby - bad day!

1 Like

I was having flashbacks to 2018 when Crosby missed 4 FGs and 1 XP in the same game

Well, you have to play out the season where many things can happen, including injuries. It’s good for KC that 7 teams now make the playoffs in each conference. It is also bad for KC that 7 teams make the playoffs, as there is only 1 bye. The 6-team playoff made more sense to me…I’d rather get rid of the marginal teams than occasionally have a solid team miss out.

I think KC should work first at trying to win the division. Get at least one home game in January in KC versus maybe OAK/LA/OAK/LV or LA/SD/Inglewood (both indoor) or Miami.

Was Gruden stepping down the right move? Sounds like the NFL had admitted all his offensive e-mails were written while he wasn’t employed by the league or any league team, so there was a real question of whether or not it even had the ability to hold him accountable.

I will say that if you could sell the Raiders short anywhere, this is the time to do so. After a decent start, they looked terrible against Chicago and I can’t see where they rally and dig deep and roll over the league from here.

Also, the Colts on MNF against the Ravens … I was watching the Sunday night game and saw Buffalo up at the half and thought “I really don’t want to sit up and watch the end of this, I’ll be up near midnight. Not like Kansas City is going to pull some 21-point MNF miracle comeback … but it feels like we’re overdue for one of those.”

For once, you can’t pin that on Carson Wentz. You can offer up all your thoughts on whether Adam Vinatieri at 48 would have made those kicks, though.