Does anyone else question the “can’t miss” Trevor Lawrence? I do not see the same characteristics that other top picks had.
In reading scouting reports, Fields info reads better. Weaknesses of each below.
- Could improve his anticipation.
- Has a tendency to get lazy in some moments.
- Usually operates out of read 1 options and could benefit from an extended playbook.
- Won’t be the speediest of QBs but can get the job done in the run game if needed.
- Can have tunnel vision when going through defensive reads.
- Needs to Read Defenses Better
- Decision Making
- Can Force Plays
- Ball Placement
Even on the positive characteristics, there is attempt to downplay Fields and emphasize weird things for Lawrence. Fields is described as a gunslinger although his completion percentage is high, accurate but not precise but great throwing technique, quick, elusive and accurate on the move. Lawrence is consistent and a leader with great velocity and arm strength and able to escape pressure.
I get he throws off a lot of first reads. I imagine most top college QBs do since they play at programs with significant talent advantages. Whoever takes Lance and Jones before Fields will get fired sooner rather than later. I get why Lawrence is going #1 and it is a safe pick. Sometimes you need to turn off the noise.