2021-22 NBA Season Thread

Did Phoenix really just score 27 points at home in the first half of G7?

Seem to be a lot of blowouts this year in the NBA playoffs. Hockey playoffs have been more exciting.

Warriors continue the blowout trend. Probably means Dallas will win G3 by 30 when series returns to Texas.

Shorten the season, shorten the playoffs, make every game matter more. Basketball is a brutal game, not to mention the travel.

Which is tougher? I vote NBA.
MLB - 6 games/week for 6 months
NBA - 3 games/week for 6 months
NFL - 1 game/week for 4 months

They all have challenges in their own way. But even though MLB has the most games it’s probably the easiest on the body as it requires the least physical contact.

NFL though is simply a brutal game by it’s nature where it churns in participants like chattle.

Pretty sure if MLB went to 144 games and NBA went to 65 games regular season to get rid of the B2B and 4 games in 6 nights kind of thing most fans except the hard core ones wouldn’t notice or care.

I do realize that money is the reason that shortening the NBA schedule or playoffs won’t happen. But quality suffers.

Yeah and pretty much why the Spurs pushed the concept of “load management” that pretty much every other NBA franchise has since adopted.

NHL is the toughest but it was not one of the choices.

Isn’t that what the TV people were mad at, causing the NBA to fine teams?

Yeah. Pop started coming up with “Phantom” injuries for 4 starters all missing the same game. But then all the teams starting doing it and the fines went away.

That’s fair to say. I disagree that the toll is worse than the NBA, but the infinite playoff overtimes are insane (but fair). It is difficult for me to comment on the overall impact due to NHL players having a much lower % of minutes on the field/ice than the NBA.

I will add that the “elimination” of extra inning games lowers the impact for MLB further.

Hockey players go all out on each shift but basketball players play much longer at lower rates of exertion: both very strenuous physically. For me the determinant is the physical pounding that hockey players take. If basketball permitted checking, I would give it the nod!

Mentally it may be tougher for basketball players as starters need to concentrate on the game for a much longer period of time than hockey players.

As for baseball, that was always my dream sport to play professionally!

And Celtics win by 25 after blowing first game.

It’s been a crazy NBA playoffs. You expect the occasional blowout but the sheer number of 20+ blowouts is surprising with numerous teams being on both sides of the blowouts, sometimes to the same team they just blew out themselves.

Wonder if you can bet on whether one team beats the other by 20+ points……

I’m sure that’s a prop bet somewhere with odds.

By my count, 20 Playoff games so far have been decided by 20 or more.
6 of those by 30 or more.
GSW/Grizzlies and Mavs/Suns each beat each other by 30+ in the same series
76ers and Heat each beat each other by 20+ in same series

I can see it in the first round as there can be quite a quality drop off between the top four and next four in a Conference. However it seems strange to be happening in the subsequent rounds when the teams are more evenly matched.

Maybe it’s a new analytic thing:
It’s easier to get over a blowout loss.
It’s only one loss.
All losses count the same no matter the score.
Into the 4th, down 20: Time to rest starters for the next game.

I think if Memphis had done that the Timberwolves would have advanced out of the first round.

But I doubt pulling starters in blow outs is a new analytic concept. Though the 76ers might want to bone up on that next time they are up by 30 with 3 minutes to play.

I mean games snowball sometimes. Pretty sure all the way back to the 80s and even before there were blowouts in the playoffs. I think one of the 80s series between Celtics Lakers the Celtics destroyed the Lakers in G1 but the Lakers went on to win the series.

It just seems there are lot more lopsided games this year than I remember from years past. Maybe just recentcy bias.