2021-22 NBA Season Thread

Might as well have been 73!

So will this Steph Curry kid make it in the NBA?

Naw heā€™s too short.

Cool to see Ray Allen out there tonight. He was an amazing player too.

Maybe if he learns to find the open man when heā€™s double/triple/quadruple/quintuple teamed.

Remember seeing him at MSG when he was on Davidson and thinking it was the quickest release Iā€™d ever seen. Who knew.

Cleveland has so many players in COVID protocol that they may not hit the required minimum of 8 to play vs ATL. Trey Young is officially out in COVID protocol for ATL, and they have several other injuries

Raptors five starters play unprecedented 53 to 56 minutes each in Triple OT victory over Miami.

Harden traded along with Millsap for Simmons and some other items. This should shake things up.

Trade will be win-win for both teams if Harden and Simmons can get along with their new teammates and coaches. That is a big if. On a different front, the Raptors have managed to trade Dragic to the Spurs.

I donā€™t see the Nets advancing unless Kyrie suddenly decides to get vaccinated or New York drops itā€™s vaccination mandate with or without Simmons. Though having Simmons, Kyrie and KD on the floor at the same time they can take turns playing isolation basketball and driving to the rim.

Iā€™m not a big fan of the approach where a team blows their budget on three superstars to try to win a championship. A lot of risk with that approach. I like the approach the Raptors are taking with 5 good starters. Wish they had more bench strength to rest the starters though. They may have gotten that with the Dragic trade.

IDK, 3 superstars together still seems to be a winning strategy if you can keep them all on the floor and surround them with just enough role players. I mean the Nets were something like 13-3 when KD, Beard and No-needle could all take the court together. Trouble was they werenā€™t together enough.

But that illustrates my concern with the three superstar approach: the Nets big 3 have only played together for 16 games this year. Especially vulnerable to one being out in COVID times. If you have 5 really good starters, you are less vulnerable. I expect the number 4 and 5 Nets players are weaker than Torontoā€™s 4 and 5 as not as much money left over for Nets to pay them?

Raptors not getting much attention (as usual) outside Canada but their rebuild seems to be happening faster than expected. Not much was expected this year but they should make playoffs and all the pieces are in place for the next few years.

Idk, go back and look at the last 20 years of NBA championships, how many had a ā€œbig 3ā€, 2 superstars, 1 superstar, 0 stars and 5 good starters.

I mean I havenā€™t looked but Iā€™m guessing the vast majority had 2 or 3 superstars. The exceptions I can think of off the the top of my head are Yannis last year you could say 1, Kawhiā€™s raptors (when 2 of warriors big 3 were injured), dirk over Miami big 3.

Pistons are still the only 5 really solid starters group, I think they are still in the 20 year window.

So like 16 of the last 20 had 2 or 3 superstars?

Substituting facts for impressions: you must be an actuary!

Ok, you win but the Raptors win over the Warriors did illustrate the vulnerability of going with three superstars for that year. I would say Kahwi was the only superstar on the winning Raptors team but he had a great supporting cast. This year Siakam, Trent, Barnes, Anunoby and Van Vleet are stars but not superstars.

I rarely watch/follow NBA, so pardon the question, but in the NBA play in tournament why do the 7 & 8 and 9 & 10 teams play each other? ā€¦why not 7 & 10 and 8 & 9?

Ohā€¦never mind the winner of 7 & 8 goes up against 2; the 9 & 10 winner plays the loser of 7 & 8 and the winner of that goes up against 1. 9 & 10 have to win two games to get into the tournament proper and, if they can get there, will have to go up against 1ā€¦whereas, 7 & 8 only need to win one to go up against 2 but if they lose they still have a chance to win to get in and go up against 1.

Trey Young is only the second player to lead the NBA in total points and assists, and the first in nearly 50 years. The last was Tiny Archibald in 1973.

Trey Young is the first player to lead the NCAA in total points and assists, and the only guy to accomplish the feat in both the NBA and NCAA.

1 Like

When there are 2-3 stars, there also has to be some sort of non-scoring star for D, rebounds, fouls. Haslem, KPerk/Posey, Bowen, Iguodalaā€¦

Golden State has been a little different too, especially first team. For some reason, it never seems like Curry is held in nearly as high regard as other players including Kyrie. Personally I would take over Curry 10-10 times, not even close. The Curry-Thompson-Green first title did not have a 25 ppg scorer, no guys avg 33 mins per game, only 3 guys avg 30 mins per game. Much broader team effort than many might think.

Trae Young doesnā€™t get near the recognition he deserves. I dread watching him play against my Raptors.

1 Like

Trae turned it on in the second half.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing Paul Georgeā€™s COVID had some impact on the Pelicans beating the Clippers.