2020 Presidential Transition Discussion

In 7 minutes we do. Trump is still POTUS at the moment.

It’s really strange to swear the POTUS in so early, but whatever.

I also watch for entertainment value. but imo, there is no entertainment value from Hanity- just him feeding pure propaganda to his viewers. Last night I saw they were actually running a russia Hoax story. Blew my mind they were still running that story.

Tucker has good entertainment value just from how hard they spin events. Tucker’s writers put a little more thought into how they present things. Hanity literally just puts a picture of H sneezing with RUSSIA HOAX in big red letters on the screen.

Now and then I need to go back and watch this epic clip and remind myself of the true nature of network news:

1 Like

I like to think that it was my high post count that pushed us over the edge.

NOW we officially have a new President!!!

:tada::clinking_glasses::slight_smile:

He’s giving a good speech.

yeah, i found it a bit odd that they swore biden in 10 minutes ahead of noon, but i never actually watch these inaugurations normally. this year is special.

It’s rare to swear in the POTUS before noon. They ALWAYS swear the VPOTUS in before noon, but usually not the POTUS.

It’s important to have the VPOTUS sworn in early so that the SOTH doesn’t become Acting POTUS. But I’ve never seen the POTUS sworn in so early and I’ve watched most of them from 1980 on. (Not all, but most.)

I haven’t watched inaugurations in the past myself, but this is basically a church service at this point, yes?

:laughing: I was getting that sense too

This poet needs a cabinet post

1 Like

I don’t consider a ceremony to be equivalent to a church service, but YMMV.

Other than the two oaths of office, which are constitutionally required, the rest is ceremony though, sure. Not sure what you were expecting?

In fairness I think there were fewer mentions of God when I got ACAS

(although maybe there should have been more)

Are you… entirely unfamiliar with American politics? Mentioning God a lot is a vote-getter.

Yeah I was more referring to the frequency of religious references in his speech in particular. Not the general ceremony.

Sure but I think we’ve moving the goalposts now. A ceremony doesn’t have to be hyper religious, but it’s a US political ceremony so we’re listening to a priest atm.

I cried at “a nation that isn’t broken, but unfinished”

1 Like

I suspect Biden is playing up the Christian stuff in part because he’s only the second Catholic POTUS ever (and only Catholic VPOTUS) but mostly to try to send a message of unity / reassurance to the “religious right”.

I’d forgotten about this! All this time could have been fearing pope rule

I mean, to be fair there’s always religious stuff at inaugurations though. This is not especially unusual.

Let the conspiracy theories commence!
[/red font]