2020 NFL Football Thread

nevermind

What are the odds NFC East gets two playoff teams?

On 538, their total “make playoffs” percentage is 103%, and I think that is rounded up.
We compare this with, say, NFC West, whose total “make playoffs” percentage is 265%.

so less than 3%

What was the reason behind no Thursday night football last week, but back to Thursday night foot, this week?

I thought it was COVID rescheduling. Bal/Dal

Ah thanks that would make sense

Well, the PIT-BAL game on T-Day was rescheduled to the following Wednesday, and the Ravens were scheduled to play the following day.
Fun fact:
There are 16 scheduled weeks of TNF (none on Week 17).
T-Day has three scheduled games.
So, 18 games in all.
So, 36 teams playing Thursdays.
But, that means four teams playing twice.
The four teams that play twice are: a) the two teams that play on Thursday in Week 1, because otherwise those teams would never have a short week; and b) two of the T-Day teams play the following Thursday, thereby having only one short week, same as every team.

1 Like

Wondering how Eagles GM keeps his job, but the coach saddled with the restrictions imposed by Wentz contract (that GM signed) will likely get the boot.
I guess they could cut (or trade) Wentz, take a year off, get a good draft position in 2022?

They could cut him, but that’s a shitload of dead cap space for '21. He would be $59.2 million against the cap and they’re already way over the projected cap. I don’t know who takes his contract in a trade. Indianapolis keeps getting mentioned, but why not just bring back Rivers on another fairly reasonable 1-year deal and go draft a QB to sit and learn for a season?

I think it’s a little weird that Hurts seems to be getting put into winning offensive sets where Wentz was kind of thrown out to the wolves at times. Doesn’t explain everything wrong with Wentz, but there’s different play calling going on and I don’t know why Wentz didn’t get a little more help with play calls suited to his alleged strengths instead of just anchoring him in the pocket and telling him to throw or eat it.

Maybe he’s not as mobile as Hurts, and that’s not good when combined with a not-great O-Line. Hurts can get out of situations, where Wentz just eats the sack.
What I’ve read is that if they trade him they’re still on the hook for $30M in cap hit, which, to me, doesn’t make sense. I mean, how otherwise do you get rid of cap space if not to trade it away? Guessing it has something to do with pre-paid bonus allocated to cap by year?
And, since other teams know about this cap issue, they’ll be tough on negotiations. But, even then, he’s not worth the salary they’d pay him. So, Eagles suffer. All because someone (the current GM who’s job appears to be safe) decided to offer a blown-up contract to an oft-hurt QB who didn’t guide them to the Super Bowl win.

A solution is to cut him, be awful for 2021 (because they’ll have to cut or trade a bunch of other players to get under cap), and rebuild for 2022.
Good news (for the owner) is that the team will still be in the NFL. So, the money will keep rolling in for him. That’s important, for society.

Time for playoff picture stuff. No peeking at site that has done this already. Just my own research into standings and who’s played whom. (I.e., might not be entirely accurate.)
AFC:
West: KC champs. two games up, and beat BUF for #1 seed.
East: BUF champs.
North: PIT one game up. Needs to win one, as it holds tiebreaker vs CLE on Division record, and beat Ravens twice. In case of three-way, PIT would have 3-1 record.
South: TEN and IND are tied. 1-1 against each other. TEN has edge in div record by one game, and each plays one more div team. If wins, then loses, while IND loses, then wins, Division record is tied, and it goes to record vs common opponents: the two North divisions. TEN would be 4-4, while IND would be 5-3. All other ties go to TEN.
Wild Card:
Somehow, LV is still in contention, tells me they win both while MIA and BAL lose both, and they are in due to conference record (7-5 vs 6-6, 6-6).
The rest will have to wait one more week to sort out.

NFC:
North: GB champs
South: NO leads by a game vs TB, beat TB twice.
West: SEA leads by a game vs LAR, play each other this week to clinch or have to win and LA to lose. Either team: win both and you’re in.
East: WAS up by one game over NYG and DAL, 1.5 over PHI.
PHI needs two wins (over NYG and WAS), AND a WAS loss to CAR this week, AND a NYG loss.
DAL needs two wins and two WAS losses.
NYG needs two wins and at least one WAS loss.
Tie-breakers: WAS lost twice to NYG, beat DAL twice. DAL beat NYG once so far.
So, this week’s games:
WAS win vs CAR eliminates PHI and DAL. Loss punts to final week.
DAL win over PHI eliminates PHI. Loss, with WAS loss, punts to final week.
NYG loss to BAL, with WAS win, eliminates NYG. If WAS also loses, punts to final week, with a possible three-way 6-10 tie, winner being either 6-9-1 PHI or 6-10 NYG (3-1 versus WAS and DAL).
Wild Cards:
SEA already in.
LAR in with a win.
MIN are still in contention. So, need ARI to lose twice, CHI to lose to GB (also losing to JAX helps), and MIN are in by some miracle. Common opponents, maybe. (I’m tired.)

Man, that’s complicated. I like the Fantasy Scenario best, but there’s not much time left in 2020 (not sure if this is Calendar Year 2020 or Season Year 2020) to do this. And wouldn’t Wentz have to agree to this restructure?

PHI needs a NYG loss, not a DAL loss. Eagles play Dallas this week.

That’s right. I’ll fix that.

Correct, and I don’t know why he would do that unless they’re tacking on years to the deal for pretty decent money - and why on earth would Philadelphia do that?

So I see that Niners signed Josh Rosen and he’s going to back up QB this weekend. I was curious as to the reason he’s eligible while Denver wasn’t able to add a QB the week they had none due to COVID.

Good question. Maybe he couldn’t answer the COVID questions satisfactorily back then, but could now?
Or, he was in the area? (No, he was on the TB practice squad.)

1 Like

They changed the rules a little while ago to avoid the Denver situation from happening again.