2020-21 NBA Thread

Hawks have no all-stars. McMillan deserved more coach of the year votes, as this team was looking like a lottery candidate before Pierce got canned.

Heā€™s a very good young player who will probably make a few of them in his career but honestly which of the 15 would you bump for him this year? They all had better regular seasons which is what the voting is based on.

Iā€™m sure heā€™s happy to be in the Eastern Conference finals while many of the all-NBA team participants will be watching.

I donā€™t know enough about regular season to know who to leave out. Hoping heā€™ll continue to do great things this year and be recognized in the future

Ben Simmons done in Philly? Dude is scared to even take a shot

Iā€™d Be shocked if heā€™s back in Philly next year.

What team wants to eat that Simmons contract?

Do NBA trades ever work like MLB where a team will pay a portion of a contract to make it happen?

Dude makes Rondo look like Steph Curry. :face_vomiting:

There is always a market for talented but flawed players in the NBA one way or the other. I imagine a team with multiple scoring options who needs a ball distributor and elite defender would be a good fit though Iā€™m not sure which team fits that bill.

Iā€™m not sure but I donā€™t think trading ā€œcashā€ in the deal is allowed like MLB, but taking back contracts the other team doesnā€™t want is done all the time to facilitate trades.

Hawks recap video. https://twitter.com/blackdragonroll/status/1406819411269410823?s=19

Productive players on bad contracts do get traded. It happens all the time in the final year of a players contract. Itā€™s tougher when the money is this big given that NBA trades often include roughly comparable total salaries between trade partners. So many years remaining also makes it tougher for the potential acquirer. I guess a loosely comparable deal is when ATL wanted to unload Joe Johnson. Joe was still a solid scorer, but was not worth the max deal he was on. I think ATL had to take 5 bad contracts from the Nets to balance the deal, and ate that $ just to dump Johnson. Johnson was a pretty productive player for Brooklyn, just way overpaid

Portland? Got some scorers and needs some defensive help

The trade of D Russell to wolves from Warriors for Wiggins and protected 1st rounder is another swap of contracts. Philly would likely need to find a different flawed player thatā€™s a better fit for their team while Simmons fits better where he lands. Iā€™m not saying it would be easy or partners would be plenty but Iā€™d guess they are out there. I just donā€™t follow the ins and out of teams closely enough to figure where the fit is.

TPA apparently means ā€˜Total Points Addedā€™, for anyone else who didnā€™t know. It also isnā€™t labeled on the linked site, which I should probably add to the annoyed thoughts threadā€¦

Because the chart didnā€™t have a more descriptive label, my last post included a link to the site that did the graphic so people could see the details.
Hereā€™s a direct link to their description of TPA for those interested:

1 Like

And the point of using head shots isā€¦?

Somebody had an art collage project?

Showing TPA on one axis and minutes played on another makes a lot of sense to me. I suppose they could have gone with last name, but thatā€™s a little messy presentation wise too for individual data points. Maybe they could have gone with initials instead of pics.