20 Questions Game17

1. John.S.Mill - Is it larger than a shoebox? Yes
  2. Celalta - Is it alive? No
  3. soyleche - Would you have been able to see it 300 years ago? Yes
  4. Lucy - Is it something that tends to stay put? Yes
  5. soyleche - Is it man-made? No
  6. Kat987 - Is it a natural landmark? No
  7. Lucy - Is it larger than a house? Yes

*Re: 4… see Lucy’s definition of “tends to stay put” that would be “yes” for cooking pot and oven and “no” for clothing and tent.

I wonder if we’ll get into relativistic motion re 4…

Is it unique?

Well we could debate if the sun/moon/earth tend to stay put

yeah, if one of those is the answer, that was a really hard question.

I was just gonna ask if it’s near earth’s crust to rule out celestial objects. I’ll wait for answers though

8. Lucy - Is it unique? Yes

*Re: 4… see Lucy’s definition of “tends to stay put” that would be “yes” for cooking pot and oven and “no” for clothing and tent.

Is it located in the Americas?

it’s the moon guys

8. Lucy - Is it unique? Yes
  9. soyleche - Is it located in the Americas? Yes

You don’t think that’s a natural landmark?

I guess it’s a terrestrial landmark?

It’s the North Star. That’s stays put. :wink:

I mean, it’s possible that by some definition of natural landmark so broad as to include basically the entire universe that wasn’t man made and mostly stayed put then I might have answered yes.

But if it was the moon (which isn’t in the Americas, so not it) then I would have said “no” to the natural landmark question.

The definition of landmark is:
an object or feature of a landscape or town that is easily seen and recognized from a distance, especially one that enables someone to establish their location.

So something like the Blue Grotto in Italy would be a natural landmark, but the Sahara Desert is not, by my way of thinking, a landmark. And Stonehenge is a landmark, but not natural.

Hmmm… located in the Americas (I take that as North or South America), not a natural landmark (and twig talked about how they would define natural landmark).

Maybe the Amazon rainforest (although it could be considered alive with the trees and wildlife), Rocky Mountains, Appalachian Mountains, a national park…

What do ya’ll think?

Unofficial:

I don’t know. Maybe we need to narrow down the size some more. What would a good comparison be? Connecticut? Something bigger (Iowa?)?

It’s not alive, and it’s not man-made. So i think that rules out the Amazon rainforest and Stonehenge. (The latter also isn’t in the Americas, of course.)

I would have said “the moon” is a feature of a landscape that is easily seen and recognized from a distance and that enabled someone to establish their location. :woman_shrugging: I often use the sun to navigate.

I think you’re right, that it’s large. I’m thinking a river or mountain range.

Or a bay, or lake. I’d probably call a lake a natural landmark, but i think twig wouldn’t.

I think that to be part of the landscape at a minimum you have to be on the land. :woman_shrugging:

Good to know.