1/6 Select Committee

Same. For everything he got wrong over the years, he got January 6 completely right.

1 Like

So the measuring stick is if you do your job or not?

Secret Service denies deleting text messages

https://www.secretservice.gov/newsroom/releases/2022/07/statement-anthony-guglielmi-chief-communications-united-states-secret

Interesting. Logic would dictate that protecting all of that info during the time of the insurrection would be important, and should’ve paused that system migration. Like they shouldn’t need to be told to keep it.

Also interesting to me: “[Secret Service] confirmed to OIG that none of the texts it was seeking had been lost in the migration.”

Notable omission: no mention anywhere that they have actually provided said texts, just some vague assertions about full cooperation. We cooperate, just not with anything we are obligated to provide, is a strange stance.

:popcorn:

Is that directed at me?

If so, because of his horrendous boss, doing his job on January 6 was made extraordinarily difficult. His own protection detail implored him to walk away for his own physical safety and he refused. That took more balls than most of us require to do our jobs.

So yes, I think he gets props for getting one particularly tough but extremely important thing right. I acknowledged that he got a lot wrong prior to that. To the extent that history even judges Vice Presidents (which is the highest office he will ever hold) and state Governors, he will be judged accordingly.

4 Likes

It was nice Pence decided to uphold the constitution and not join in a violent coup. Yes he did the right thing on 1/6. It’s about the only good thing he’s done in the entirety of his political career.

3 Likes

Within Trump’s circle, just obeying the law must be viewed as an accomplishment. The bar is set pretty low.

9 Likes

A tad more than that. We are not seeing a lot of " my country before my party" playing out lately.

Tip o’ the hat to VP Pence.

3 Likes

He was cool as a cucumber when that fly landed on him. Give him some credit for that imo.

Fulton County GA district attorney sends “target letters” to some of the fake electors letting them know they could be indicted for their roles

1 Like

Russia, if you’re listening, see if you can find the Secret Service’s deleted texts.

6 Likes

I thought that is what Anonymous was for.

1 Like

Hopefully they are on it, since I’m not sure we can count on Putin. While he may no longer have a use for Trump, it still seems hypothetically possible that Trump could run in 2024 and beat Biden. It’s not clear what Putin would gain by turning on Trump now. Obviously he’d turn on Trump in a heartbeat if it helped him in some way, but I’m not sure it does. And having a blackmail card to hold over Trump is potentially even more valuable if Trump does find his way back to the White House.

So while Ted’s post is humorous, yours is certainly more realistic in terms of anything that will actually be helpful.

I like to try and help provide real solutions to problems when possible. On the other hand, if a thought comes to mind and I think it’s humorous, … well, there’s times everyone should have to suffer for it.

In a way it shows the value of sucking up to Trump until the very end.

The very end is when you most need someone who will defect.

1 Like

Yeah, I “liked” your post too. And not just now, but back when I first read it.

Meanwhile, in the court case on Steve Bannon’s contempt of Congress charge:

Considering, mind you, that Corcoran had been warned of this long before today and the hearing a couple weeks back cemented that his proposed defenses were going to be denied.

This secret service text thing just keeps getting weirder. Timeline per my understanding:

Inspector General asks for secret service texts of 1/5-6. They send the committee a letter stating the secret service deleted texts after their request.

Secret Service denies it. They say some texts were lost due to a system migration, but none of the subject texts were lost in the migration and they have been fully cooperating. No mention of why they haven’t provided said texts.

Committee issues a subpoena for the texts

Secret Service says it will provide all texts including any deleted texts.

Secret Service acknowledges it deleted texts from 1/5-6, but says they are not recoverable.

National Archives launches an investigation into the deletion of the texts

It wasn’t clear in early reports, but apparently all of the GA fake electors got this notice. Some have joined to try to at least temporarily block any prosecution until after the 2022 election. At least 1 is in a hotly contended race.