Worldle / WhereTaken / WhenTaken

Oh no, broke my streak! I was convinced the east was a coastline with an island, not an exclave. I knew it wasnā€™t Azerbaijan, Eritrea is pointier on the top. No other east coast countries fit, so maybe small island. Went with a single (or what I thought was a single) in mid pacific. Distance indicated East African, but direction wasnā€™t N enough to qualify for NW, so I thought still southern Hemisphere. Second guess wrong and still far. I should have realized 6850 km is more like 60 degrees lat, but I didnā€™t think clearly, so I undershot going north. Did guess Eritrea despite my bias against. Maybe Bahrain, since it is small and I donā€™t know its shape (not Qatar since it is hand shaped (thumb tucked close to side unlike michigan/mittengan) Finally landed in trans-caucus, but 50/50ed to Georgia on last guess instead of the answer. TIL.

#Worldle #419 X/6 (98%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_up:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:

Wish I had known that, would have saved me a guess. Or maybe I donā€™t wish it, since that was by far my closest guess (and no, not my last. Getting close is not necessarily a help with my overall cluelessness).

I even forgot my Georgia look like a reversed Cyprus rule.:headshake:

#Worldle #419 6/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::tada:

I did Albania, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzastan, Moldova and got it

2 Likes

#Worldle #420 1/6 (100%)

First time getting a correct answer in a while. Not that many countries shaped like that, Iā€™m sure.

1 Like

:iatp:

#Worldle #420 1/6 (100%)

2 Likes

#Worldle #421 6/6 (100%)
:green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_up:

Got lucky this time. Took me a while to get the region and had one guess left to decide which Samoa it was.

1 Like

#Worldle #421 X/6 (95%)
:green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:

by guess 2 I was off just over 500. Then still within 1000 for 3 and 4. Then off over 300o for 5 and 6

#Worldle #422 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_right:

Once I get the middle east, I remembered that Yemen was at the bottom of the Arabian peninsula. I used to go to a nice Yemeni restaurant in Brooklyn.

1 Like

#Worldle #422 X/6 (94%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_down:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:

once I got into the Middle East, indidnā€™t realize 700 miles away would still be in the Middle East. Didnā€™t manage to stay within 700 miles of that guess either.

tough strategy question. Currently vacationing outside the US. Sure Iā€™m in the Caribbean. To avoid major embarrassment, while trying not to drastically chop my chances of getting the answer in 6, should I start by guessing my current location as guess 1 each day? Guessing it right away once I know Caribbean? Guessing it as guess 6 if in Caribbean and havenā€™t gotten it in 5? Study its map?

#Worldle #423 1/6 (100%)

The big holes were a giveaway

1 Like

#Worldle #423 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_down:

3 Likes

#Worldle #424 5/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_left:

I gradually got closer with each guess but never thought it would be this shape. I have caught a train from west to east and remembered that itā€™s quite wide.

The little arm reaches out west to pin Liechtenstein to Switzerland and separate Germany from Italy.

#Worldle #424 X/6 (97%)
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:

Close, not close enough. Last 2 guesses each within 300 miles

#Worldle #425 4/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_left:

Luckily I started in Africa, partly because I remember they have a lot of those straight borders (presumably remnants of colonial divisions)

1 Like

#Worldle #425 X/6 (93%)
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_down:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_down:

The expected result

Somewhat confusing because it is in the land of Zs, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, the former Zaire, the former Swaziland. Zambia is the one with the kick in the gut from DRCongo.

I remembered Zambia because I was looking up The Gambia (added the ā€œTheā€ to distinguish it from Zambia) when Senegal came up a few weeks ago.

I miss Zaire - that was a cool name for a country and renaming it reduced the number of Z*** countries by a third. Zaire was the Portuguese name for the Congo which derived from the local word meaning ā€œriver swallowing riversā€. The name Congo came from the kingdom of Kongo which was once located on the southern bank of the river.

#Worldle #426 2/6 (100%)

Got very close with my first guess and I knew that UAE has coast line to the north (did a layover in Dubai once).

1 Like