WORDLE

hard time on this one

Wordle 8 5/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

the archive is def a wormhole I will invest in. 1-10 are done and I need a break.

1 Like

sharing the good ones or a failure

Wordle 17 2/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:

through 25, making dumb mistake, but haven’t lost

This is my best so far.

I started working backwards through the archive. I’m averaging 3-4 guesses. Some 5s. No 6s and no other 2s.

Do you all play the same first word Everytime?

I went back to the archives to play the first 10, with the goal of not failing.
5 words took 4 attempts and 5 words took 5 attempts.

Wordle 209 4/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

For awhile I was playing the first three words the same and then I would think. made it go quickly, to get through a bunch, but not the most efficient use of guesses.

Words-

Moist

Early

Punch

I start with one of these:
DOUGH
TOUGH
RATES
TRAIN

Depending on the previous 1 or 2 puzzles.

:woman_shrugging:

On the 208 puzzle, I wanted to start with letters that hadn’t been used in previous puzzles. Based on my first guess there was only one other word I could think of that would work, and it did.

So far my starting words have been
ATONE GIRDS MULCH although I can mix it up along the way, that way I’ve checked 15 frequent letters after three rounds, plus good chance the word ends with an E, S, or H.
I wonder what the optimum first three words are.

After the first 35 words from the archive my record is:
0-1-3-17-11-2-[1] So two sixes and one fail. An average of 4.37 letters if you count the fail as a 7.

Always same three words to start
But will veer based on hits

Toner
Hails
Dumpy

Alright let’s science this. (LOOK AWAY NOW!!!)

We’ve all heard what the most common letters are in the English language, but what are the most common letters in a 5-letter word, or in any place in a 5-letter word? Well I found a site with 12,478 5-letter words - many of them foreign to me - and did the analysis. Here is the letter distribution in each place of the word and in total:

letters

S is much more popular, presumably because it is easy to pluaralize 4-letter words, and because there aren’t enough letters to increase syllables and more syllables means more vowels.

No more using the word atone; there is rarely a vowel at the front. ES is by far the most common last two letters although I don’t know if we’ll see lots of plurals in this game. 65.8% chance that the second letter is a vowel.

The most likely word is SAAES. Try typing that in! :slight_smile:

I think my new words are CURES, PAINT, and MOLDY
Let’s see if my next 35 are better than the first 35.

somehow I only counted 34 but compare the distributions:
OLD: 0-1-3-17-11-2-1 Avg 4.27
NEW: 0-0-10-14-9-1-0 Avg 4.03
seems like it improved things. I got more 3’s and 4’s and less 5+.

1 Like

Wordle 210 3/6

:blue_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::blue_square::blue_square::white_large_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square:

0-2-14-32-20-3-1

Wordle 210 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
late to the party, I sit at 0-0-1-1-0-2 and have not yet failed “officially”

Wordle 210 2/6

:green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

I still don’t have a feel for how much I should weigh learning more about the letters in the early guesses vs just trying to guess the word. Guessing worked out great this time, but I was tempted to not pick a word with the first letter that I knew and try to get info about one more letter.

Wordle 210 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

In three, messed up the cut and paste, first time doing it on my phone

I had a bad start on todays.

Wordle 210 6/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square: