Word of the Ring

It would be far more difficult if you didn’t know where it started, but you can tell anyway. The first letter of the word has a small ring around it.

ETA: Of course, for more of a challenge I did it without considering which was the first letter. That must be why my first score wasn’t higher than 1698514’s.

Well, phooey.

It does reveal all uses of a letter if they are used multiple times. I didn’t put that in the rules, but assuming the user will figure it out as it happens.

I’ve been told that my games are too difficult for the non-actuarial user. That is why I added the letters in order on the side. Maybe making that as a game setting would be good for those that want it more challenging.

1 Like

Certainly they will if they see one twice. After my first 6 guesses (which were a word; I was in Wordle mode and didn’t even look at any result before that), I wanted to reuse a letter to make what looked like a promising word. Only I couldn’t reuse it. Which told me that word was not going to be right, but left me not knowing whether there could be double letters (which I didn’t need to know).

But most likely my score matched that other guy’s only because he understood the double letter situation and I didn’t.

Site is not too busy today. I’m currently #2 on the daily leaderboard with 130. Yes, I could have had 150 by taking another strike, then starting over on the same puzzle with no strikes. Not my style (though if I had missed by attempt with 4 strikes, maybe I would have started over. We’ll see if and when that happens.)

Maybe that’s what happened with 1698514, despite his relatively strong showing yesterday. I can’t see his score on the leaderboard, so it’s under 60 today. 9 strikes, and a score of 30? Or 8 strikes and he’s tied with the 60 score, but it’s not showing him. (I suppose there are other possibilities, and not just 14 strikes).

Also could be they haven’t updated yet and they are experiencing the couple of bugs on the stats page that people pointed out and I have fixed. There are not a lot of people playing yet as I have not started advertising it yet. Just relying on friends (including my fellow actuaries here) to work out the kinks before I start promoting it. Nothing like doing a full launch and receiving thousands of crash reports!

No problem. It was mainly in jest, though it is true that all I see on the leaderboard is:
1-630
2-130 (me)
3-60

That 630 must include lots of random games. Maybe with no single game of 130 or more, and I’ve got the best individual game today.

I think your friend just one-upped you.

Yes, one-upped me based on the way you keep the leaderboard. I personally think a 130 in the daily game, and then two 30’s in random games (in who knows how many random games) is not as good as just a 130 in the regular game.

The daily game is meant to keep you coming back. However, the goal of the leaderboard is to get you to play more. Ultimately, I am looking to get the ad revenue which I will get more of once I turn on the in game banners. :slightly_smiling_face: I do agree that the single game average score can be an impressive stat and maybe another leaderboard! Btw, how do you know he/she didn’t get the 190 in 1 game.150 - 30 * 2 + 100?

Is this iOS only? Or am i just blind?

I think that’s surely what happened. But why would I include that as a possibility?

1 Like

Unfortunately, IOS only. I do this as a hobby and since I have IOS devices, that is what I learned to program. I have played around with Android some, but one of my apps would have to really take off before I invested the time to learn Kotlin or Java.

1 Like

:swear: I thought I was going to get a jump on 1698514 today. Then not looking so good. Strikes on the first 3 guesses, even though fairly common letters. 1 strike would not be that rare, 2 not impossible, but 3??? (What’s the Goldfinger line to Bond: one is bad luck, two is coincidence, three is enemy action).

Then the game closed down and said there was an error loading the puzzle. Try again later.

ETA: Per Google, “once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence, three is enemy action”.

Yeah, I actually did the daily puzzle first thing in the morning. It looks like I didn’t even get any points for it as I’m at a big fat zero for the day & can’t redo the “Today’s” puzzle. :man_shrugging:

Well, at least I got my 30 for the “Random” puzzle. :tup:

Leaderboard padding. :shake:

I think it might be because the app wasn’t updated. Mine worked fine, but my wife had the same issue and when I looked, she had the version before I had done some of the bug fixes that people here have pointed out. Now Steve mentioned a crash which is disturbing, but I don’t get crash reports until next day. My guess is I didn’t safely unwrap an optional somewhere in the process, but will never find it without the crash report.

1 Like

Just downloaded it. Man, you guys solve these daily puzzles with less than 5 wrong guesses? I’m on my second attempt and still haven’t gotten all 3 words (and I even watched an ad on the first try) :rofl:

1 Like