Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

Yeah, I’m guessing that bolded info was from, say, late January or February of this year. (CHECK: I’m right!) And the main reason is to make sure more susceptible got vaccinated first. Not that 90 days is the magic number. More of a “just wait your turn” advice.

So, now it’s late May, and there is no overwhelming demand for the vaccine relative to its supply, so the principles no longer apply. Get your frickin’ vaccine!
(Because, though I know you only through here and AO, I care.)

Also, wondering how one can get an “immunological passport” that states, “I already had COVID”? I mean, I have an overlarge card with my vax dates. From a doctor? Do I print my results from the, um, whatever agency sent me my results?

1 Like

I still have the printout of my results that I got through a link they emailed me.

And I haven’t seen any studies that conclude that natural immunity is less effective now than it was in January.

But I am WFH permanently and generally rarely go anywhere anyway. And no one comes to my house to see me but a very few individuals whom I am totally comfortable being around. I’m good, but thanks for your concern.

1 Like

I don’t know, but Israel is actually doing vaccine passports, and i think the rule is vaccinated or recovered. And the standard for “vaccination” in chunks of the EU is “two doses, or covid plus one dose.”

1 Like

https://www.goodrx.com/gardasil-9

I think you missed the Arrested Development reference. You’re not the only one.

So…

COVID boosters are supposedly going to be free.

The mRNA is synthetic, but the spike protein is not. Those are two different things, and only one of them is in the vaccine.

Yes, I realize only the mRNA is in the shot, but that provides your cells with instructions to make a slightly modified spike protein (S1) which is distinguishable from the wild covid spike protein (S).

Specifically, the one wild one is flexible, and usually closes the business end of its spike to hide it from your immune system, only opening it to grab the ACE2 receptor. The one in the vaccine is slightly broken, to hold the end open, so your immune system can better learn to bind to it. That’s why the vaccine induces such strong and reliable immunity.

So are you arguing that the government should take over research/production/distribution of all vaccines going forward? Or is this just an argument against taking all pharmaceuticals due to the profit motive inherent in capitalism?

I don’t know about showing that natural immunity is weaker than it was believed to be in January, but there is data showing that the vaccine immune response is superior.

“These results show that
the Ab responses against Spike RBD variants are significantly elevated in vaccinated
individuals compared to those naturally exposed. Vaccination induces more robust Ab
response than natural exposure alone, suggesting that those who have recovered from
COVID may well benefit from the vaccination”

Did you miss the sentence just before the one you quoted? My trust of the government is slightly (probably more than slightly, possibly by a whole heck of a lot) less than of corporations.

Yeah, basically, I don’t trust anyone. Which really means I trust everyone about equally.

1 Like

So how can you function in society? How do you ever go to the doctors office? How can you trust them? Do you refuse to take any medications because you can’t trust pharmaceutical companies? Do you grow your own food because you cant trust stores and farms?

1 Like

I’m not saying that vaccination isn’t good. It is. Absolutely. But having recovered from the infection is also good, from what I have seen. And I do believe that vaccination is even better for those who have recovered. But is vaccination necessary for those who have recovered or is their natural immunity sufficient?

All I have been able to see is they keep saying having recovered from the infection provides some level of immunity which seems to be quite good. However getting vaccinated MAY provide even better immunity.

Like I said, not trusting anyone, means I pretty much trust everyone. Though it does leave me an out to not trust something that anyone says that I don’t like. But I’m a pretty likeable guy that likes most people. So I get along OK.

Luckily for me, I have the AO where I feel I do a pretty good job of finding people smarter than me that debate lots of stuff and present lots of differing views which informs and educates me and allows me to feel more confident in those things I want to believe.

:laughing: :+1:

My state is doing a $1 Million drawing for those vaccinated with first dose by Tuesday. My last holdout brother, who has nothing really against the vaccine but just hasn’t made time for it, was motivated enough by the drawing to get his shot scheduled this weekend.

4 Likes

My wife was holding off until she gives birth but the OBGYN was a lot less on the fence when she spoke with her yesterday about getting it so my wife just got the vaccine an hour or so ago. Officially have everyone older than 5 in my household at least 1 dose in.

9 Likes

Hit 65% today with a month to go…

1 Like

That might give the baby some protection, too.