Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

that is a lot of things I didn’t say
you’re right, a person 150 years old with a BMI of 15 is certainly at a higher risk than someone age 1 with a BMI of 30. BMI is clearly useless! Silly me.

1 Like

you qualified it with “an otherwise healthy 18 year old”, so I would say…duh

The BMI benchmark is age agnostic, just like the age benchmark is BMI agnostic, and every other benchmark is every other factor agnostic.

It’s your typical rating plan.

Yeah, but my point is that most women with a BMI of 25 are healthy. Sure, there are some who have no muscle mass and light bones who are actually overweight. But most women actually aren’t overweight, from a health perspective, at a BMI of 25.

actually, replace where I said age 49 with a bmi of 20 to a person age 64 with a bmi of 20. If I’m reading this right, in Virginia, a person who is age 64 with a BMI of 20 is not eligible for the vaccine, but a person who is age 18 with a bmi of 25 is eligible for the vaccine. that’s insane.

1 Like

I never said BMI is useless. I said that a BMI of 25 is not a risk factor. certainly not compared to age. A BMI over 30 might be a risk factor.

Or waist and weight for men;
Waist, hips, wrist, forearm, and weight for women.
Making another thread.

well, I don’t have the stats to refute that. I assume it was established to be “overweight” for a reason. And if it were supposed to be for men only, then it concerns me even more that a bunch of old school medical professionals did not realize this and have been using it for both men and women for decades.

Not that I care, everyone knows it’s a shit metric nowadays.

1 Like

need bra size too for women imo. that’s where most of the fat is.

why? I don’t think having a large chest is a risk factor. stomach fat is.

and what do you mean by “that’s where most of the fat is”? not for me.

1 Like

you’re right.

I was thinking about it wrong. In my head I was trying to back into a healthy body fat % for women, which should take bewb size into account.

Yeah, neither boob fat nor hip fat is a major risk factor for women.

i’m confused. I don’t think boob size enters into any calculations for health. Body fat percentage in terms of health needs to look at belly fat mostly.

didn’t say it did.

I meant, if you’re going to come up with a healthy body fat % bracket for women, it should adjust based on bewb size, since, like you said, bewb size doesn’t affect your health, but it can be a significant portion of body fat % for women.

“They” would have included it, if it were statistically relevant.

How is body fat percentage determined? I didnt think the measurements to do it uses boobs at all. If you want to use BMI as a proxy for health issues it makes sense to see where the weight actually is and boob size might come into play, but same for having bigger thighs or a bigger butt which I dont think are risky either. I think it is mainly belly fat that increases risk.

there are machines that you hold and they run currents through your body to determine your body fat. you see these at gyms. They’re not the most accurate thing. But they will give you a BFP.

I don’t think those are accurate, but even beyond that, it seems like an irrelevant number even if it is. women especially carry weight in a lot of places, not just stomach and not just boobs.

I have a scale that used to give me a body fat percentage. I viewed it as a bs number.

probably why the “skin test” is usually done on a bunch of different areas to determine overall BFP.

In my state most teachers are either teaching in person or they are required to go to the school to teach virtually.