Wifi extender woes

My old router bit the dust a couple of years ago and I put in an Orbi mesh wifi system. It has worked great.

I have the Google Wifi. It was super easy to set up, and it’s been mostly ok. I have 3 “points”, one plugged directly into the modem and the other two spread throughout the house (~2,700 sq ft). On the other side of the house from the modem (my bedroom), the signal is fine, but the speed is slow. Next to the modem I get 300 mbs and in my room I get way less, like 20 mbs. I need to figure out how to fix that.

I currently have the Google WiFi mesh routers, but I’d like something better. I have a ~2,800 sq ft house, 2 stories. My modem is on the far said of the first floor. I pay for 300 Mbps, but if I’m not right by my model I’m lucky if I’m getting above 100 Mbps.

So suggestions for routers? I’m looking into Orbi, TP-Link, and Netgear, but would be happy to hear about specific models that have worked for you all.

I’m still happy with my power line router, gets my work computer a good connection.

I installed an Orbi mesh system a few years ago and it works great. I have the router and 1 satellite downstairs, and 1 satellite upstairs in our 2300 sqft house. The satellite downstairs might not have been necessary for coverage inside the house, but I wanted coverage to extend to our screened porch area and the side of the yard on that side of the house.

1 Like